Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On launches from dead stop, clutch has developed a squawk noise as it goes through the friction zone. No slippage once engaged, all else is good. Stock everything, and I clean the dust out frequently with compressed air (outside). 9200 miles on the clock. Normal street riding, no track, and I'm not particularly hard on clutches on my off road bikes. I will take it down for a better cleaning with contact cleaner and mic the plates unless you guys have a better idea. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Mine did this when brand new and I chalked it up to break-in. Maybe 150 mi. later, it stopped.I think were talking about the same noise.To me it kinda sounded like high RPM bearing when it loses lubrication.Pretty unnerving noise actually.Once the noise stopped my clutch has been flawless.Have you tried slipping the clutch a few times(not enough to cook it obviously)?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike never did it before. This is common on wet clutches in woods racing, they get hot from being slipped in tight trees and squawk, but stop when they cool down. I never tried slipping the clutch to clean it out if thats what you mean. I do clean it with compressed air while running and working the clutch. It does seem worse when cold though, like on the first few starts.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bike never did it before. This is common on wet clutches in woods racing, they get hot from being slipped in tight trees and squawk, but stop when they cool down. I never tried slipping the clutch to clean it out if thats what you mean. I do clean it with compressed air while running and working the clutch. It does seem worse when cold though, like on the first few starts.
I have the same. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. Let me know if you find anything. I'll do the same.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Yeah, not so much to clean it out but more like "bedding it in".I have fixed many a squeaking brakes complaint by simply making a few successive hard braking stops.It was just a thought but my "squawking" stopped around the same time I was willing to get a little more aggressive with the clutch(after break-in).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Clutch noise

Greetings all,

My clutch acted in the same manner for about 600 miles. At the 600 mile service, I had an open clutch cover installed, and I have not heard the "noise" again.

The tech's at Valley stated they had heard the same complaint from others and expected the noise to fade over time.

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If all looks good and its just dirty, which I suspect, I'll install an open cover over the winter. There were just some other things I wanted to do before bling though, but hey if its functional thats good. Even so, if it needs the clutch taken down and cleaned every 9K thats not such a big deal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are other ways to vent the clutch without buying a cover.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, problem solved. Complete dissassembly, cleaning each plate with contact cleaner and a scotchbrite pad, and reasembly. Clutch is quiet and even feels better. Some steel plates were blued in spots from heat, and had friction material stuck to them. What really surprised me was how beat up the basket fingers are. That Ducati signature sound is the clutch basket getting beat to shit. Anyway, perhaps a vented cover is in order.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
old post of mine

For some of you that are experiencing a grabby or groaning/squealing clutch,
I have the fix, especially if you have a enclosed cover.

The clutch plates in time will get grungy & sticky with use, which will cause noise, and grabbiness, and if you are a track day rider, hard rider, or just slip the clutch alot in traffic, you may have overheated the clutch, which can take the tension out of your convex steel plate in your clutch pack.

Buy a new convex steel plate from Ducati, part# 19010241A you may have to order this, as many dealers don't even know it exists, cost about ten bucks.

So here's the fix, take off the screws, springs, and pressure plate, remove all the steel & friction plates, (KEEP THEM IN THE EXACT ORDER THAT YOU TOOK THEM OFF!) as the pack has "mated" to each other. At your local auto parts store get a couple cans of "brake clean spray" and one at a time spray the plates & wipe them down, remembering to keep them in order, now reinstall.

Start with the 2 steel plates first, then 1 friction, then install the NEW convex steel plate, tossing out the old one, the convex plate will have a small punch mark on one of the teeth, (hard to see, but its there) this punch mark faces out, towards you. The convex plate should be the 3rd steel plate from the bottom, or you did something WRONG! Now just finish up the rest of the plates in the order you took them off.

Your clutch should be good as new, and if you take apart the clutch pack, once in a while, and spray her down with the brake clean, you'll get the max life out of you clutch! Happy clutching! Aloha Alex
Hope this helps! :) Aloha Alex

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alex, basically what I did, except replace the convex plate. Clutch feels like new. The bluing wasn't too bad, and was random throughout the pack, and not present on the convex plate. I think the main cause was all the trapped friction debri that was imbedded/stuck to the plates. I spaced the stock cover off the cases and removed the gasket until I get around to getting a vented cover. I also may experiment with the " quiet clutch mod" to keep the basket form being beaten to death.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts