Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the original clutch in my 900sp. After 12 years and 33k+ miles she's finally slipping away. So is there a torque spec for the clutch springs or some other guide to use for tightening them? TIA

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gently. I use T-handle wrenches for this and I hand tighten until the T just begins to flex. Any more than that and the fragile posts may snap. I think the torque spec is 5Nm or so. Don't quote me on that as I've seen it but never confirmed it, preferring to always use the seat-of-the-pants method instead.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Agreed, be gentle here, just snug them up.

These bolts thread into cast aluminum so they’re extremely easy to strip. They really won’t come loose because they preload the springs.

If there is a single bolt on the whole bike that you need to be very careful with, this is the one. Don’t use Locktite on these bolts either. Soft aluminum and steel is not a good combination for Locktite.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
and loosen/tighten them up a few turns at a time in a star pattern. Too much pressure on one post and SNAP!!!! off it breaks. Don't ask how I know. Fool me once, shame on me...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The spec is 5nm, just installed a ducati performance pressure plate and new springs. Be carefull when you tighten them, they can snap or strip out if you go to crazy with the wrench.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
another good preventive measure is to use antisieze compound on the bolts. I had one sieze on my SS and the post came off with it... oh yeah, dont try to use an impact driver when the head is slightly stripped. Lesson learned :eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the info. I'll tread lightly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts