Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on a past ride this weekend I noticed that my bike (2007 Monster S4RS) was having some major issues when accelerating. I would get on the gas, the engine would spin but the bike would not accelerate. The bike would accelerate only when I gently got on the gas, which from what I read points to the clutch slipping.

I got home, took the thing apart and started measuring the plates and springs per troubleshooting tips found on the shop manual. The individual clutch plates thickness measured 2.8 mm to 2.9 mm on some areas.

The entire clutch pack measured 28.1 mm to 29.00 mm depending on where I measured.

According to the shop manual the minimum thickness should not be less then 2.8 mm per plate, which none of my plates exhibited but are very close to. I checked the springs and none of them where below the manuals 36.5mm free play lenght minimum.

I don't know much about dry clutches but based on the information provided should I go ahead an order a new clutch pack? Is the thickness of my plates to close to the limit which could be causing the slipping?

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Replace the clutch pack.

The minimum friction plate thickness is 2.8mm and the total stack height should be 38mm or so. The stack height shortens as the plates wear, which in turn reduces the preload on the springs, which lessens the force pushing the plates together. So the frictional force between plates slowly reduces until the clutch slips under load.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you have a slipper clutch installed backwards....??
HA! Good one :D

I ordered a new clutch pack from DesmoTimes...gonna give the Surflex set a try. Everyone seems to hate the Barnette stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts