Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the bike and my clutch is slipping. How hard is it to change the dry clutch on an 06? Maybe I glazed the plates? If so can the be unglazed?

It has a barnett clutch now and I've had bad luck with them before. How's the ducati clutch? Cheapest place to get it?

Enough questions or what!!

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, no one works on their own bikes here? My buddy is going to help me tomorrow, he says its easy.

Now I just need to figure out if the plates are worn or if the slave is not fully releasing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't really heard much concerning problems with slipping dry clutches. Perhaps someone removed springs to lighten the pressure or fit such an oversize slave (as you suggest) that it's not releasing all the way. That's the nice thing about dry clutches, though, they are much less messy to work on.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Your buddy's right: it's pretty easy.

Dry clutches don't generally have the life of a wet clutch, but they're about 4x as easy to replace.

Still, these bikes do commonly have problems with the slave, so it could be that. You didn't mention the mileage, so it's hard to know what it is most likely to be. It's possible that it has a Barnett clutch because the PO abused the original, but it's also possible that it has the Barnett because the first clutch was ruined by a bad slave, and now it's happened again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike has 4600 miles. It had not slipped again but I haven't really drag raced from a stop light again either. Can a clutch overheat, slip and then cool down and be fine again?

I think that the problem is a combination of the dp cams, stock gearing and rider weight(300lbs). All of this combines making heavy feathering the clutch necessary for drag starts. New gearing is comming soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong, I do really like the bike. I can already tell it will be with me for a long time. I've had it 3 days and already racked up 400 miles.

With my schedule that means lots of short city rides, sometimes 3 a day.

With the right gearing this thing will be even more fun.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Absolutely.

But, these bikes are overgeared at purchase to help meet emission and noise regs. Combine that gearing with a massaged motor and your, uhm, "full frame," and you've got a bad combination. You're right that the bike is going to be a lot more fun with the gearing change, especially in parking lots and getting going from a standing start.

You could just lose 100 lbs., but changing sprockets is probably a little faster and easier. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but then Ben and Jerrys would go out of business. I have to do my part to help the economy.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wow, no one works on their own bikes here? My buddy is going to help me tomorrow, he says its easy.
There are a few of us that wrench on our bikes. I was actually surprised to here of clutch issues. I replaced my slave a while back, it made a difference I guess. It allowed for some "bling" factor on the left side bike. But I would do a bleed to start. It is really easy. Get some good fluid from the dealer, and pick up a quick bleeder. My slave came with one. Try that first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts