Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I've had no complaints about my clutch action, but after running low on fluid I took off the clutch slave and found the rubber gaiter behind it eaten by the chain. I read some old posts here, and appreciate the idea of a new c. slave with a clean and easy double sealed piston, but as I have no other complaints about the stocker, a gaiter, and possibly fluid seal (and inner seal if I can figure out how to get it out..) would make me very very happy. I haven't seen a lead on where to find the rubber parts. Any clues? Also I see that ca cycle works sells a metal piece that looks like it would would protect from repeat chain damage to the gaiter www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/img/case_saver.jpg anyone ever used it? Or does an upgraded clutch slave do away with a gaiter all togeather?

As it still has to be considered a new bike for me, with band new 14/39 sprockets and chain with old 180/55 Dunlop I'm wondering if the new sprocket installation is to blame for the situation. I also noticed the chain is amazingly :eek: close to the edge of the back tire, and looks like it's chewed off a bit along the outer most corner edge. Is it possible to adjust or shim the chain away from tire?

best to all
N

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I've never had good luck with OEM slave cylinders --and the repair kits are just temporary solutions.

A good billet slave cylinder wil last the lifetime of the bike and can be taken be tranferred to another Ducati if you sell or crash the bike.

They have an easier clutch pull, don't leak and reduce the likelihood of dark fluid.

The OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder 29mm is a great slave cylinder. Easier clutch pull, easy to find neutral, easy to install and not very expensive at $125.

-M

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can upgrade the stocker with a new double seal piston from Evoluzione. I am running this now and it is dependable so far, but I have purchased a Evo clutch slave and will install that soon. If you go this route get the 28.5 mm as the 30.5mm is said to cause some problems finding neutral.

Here is the link to the evoluzione site:
http://www.evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-ducati.htm

there are many good slave replacements out there. Yoyodyne makes a nice hard anodized one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
All bikes have their quirks, Ducati's seems to the clutch slave. ;)

From what I've read, when mine begins the leaking thing I've decided to go with the Oberon. No matter what you do, though, I think there are bigger issues in play.

First, there is no reason the chain shouls contact any part of the slave. It sounds as though the sprocket choices have compromised the clearance.

Second, a similar point is the tire contact. Perhaps the PO fit a wider tire? Or perhaps a spacer was left off at some point?

If you're not sure of these things I'd definitely enlist the input of a good shop that is intimately familiar with these bikes. However, I wouldn't be trying to fit a metal guard on the slave; far better to find and fix the cause...besides, you don't really want the chain making contact with metal, do you?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

It was my mechanic who told me chains eating gaiters was not unusual. I guess I'll be putting it back to together and driving it over there.

Do evoluzione oberon yoyodyne and stm all have gaiters?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

It was my mechanic who told me chains eating gaiters was not unusual. I guess I'll be putting it back to together and driving it over there.

Do evoluzione oberon yoyodyne and stm all have gaiters?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe the "gaiter" or rubber piece is something you have to order from a duc dealer. I haven't ran one for a year with no problems. I just pull my slave off every time I clean my chain and clean around the push rod with a rag and silicone spray.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Typically such gaiters simply keep dirt and impurities from damaging the seal and causing premature failure or interfering with proper operation. Since the stock ones leak, at least the first part seems rather ingenuous on the Duc. ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a Yoyodyne slave (liked the colour) and the gaiter was no longer required. The Yoyo slave mounts very close to the case so there isn't the gap that the original had.

The case saver you mention is more to save you from damaging the case if the chain derails. I have one - sitting in a box ready to be fitted one day.

My thoughts are that a 15 tooth front sprocket would be a little closer to the slave than a 14 and if one was going to rub and cause trouble it would be a 15 tooth (I run a 15/39 gearing - going 15/41 next time). A loose chain on any sized sprocket might cause it to rub the gaiter though. Just don't adjust it too tight.

Chain rubbing on the tyre - some tyres are slightly wider than the quoted 180 on the sidewall. I had a Bridgestone that did the same thing. Didn't seem to cause any problems but I am a Pirelli fan and have found their 180/55 is slightly narrower. Chain doesn't rub.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Ken at Evoluzione, who happened to be the owner and he clarified for me what you already knew - the gaiter just protects the push rod from getting dinged up with chain debris. I had thought it was the root of my fluid leak. I had also noticed fluid squeezing out of the seal around the piston when I was taking it apart, but my brain was fixated on the hacked up gaiter:alien: No matter. Ken is sending me a new evo double sealed piston for the stock housing, and bleeder valve, $44, and says if it doesn't do the job I can send it back and have it discounted from the cost of the replacement slave. What a guy, and i mean it. Can't ask for more than that. He used to have a 95 ss. Said he's seen many many hacked up gaiters, and never ever seen one in tact. He also gave tips on eyeballing for a proper front sprocket installation, and mine seems to be correct. He reminded me that the stocker is 15 teeth, so the 14 I've got is even smaller, so that allayed some of my concerns about the closeness of sprocket to cylinder slave, and front of swing arm. The closeness to the edge of tire is a bit weird still, but I guess it's related to the 5.5 rim that the SP has, and on the CR there'd be more clearance. I'll let you know how it works out when I get the piston later this week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nicky:

Glad you got it sorted. In the Evo instructions they tell you to take the gaiter off and chuck it! Evoluzione has always given me great customer service and quick responses. That updated piston is great but be sure to really clean out the slave before fitting the new piston.

Be careful with the 14 tooth front. It can cause the chain to drag on the swing arm. Some say the decreased radius of the sprocket is also not good for the chain. That being said a lot of guys run them no problem. If you want different gearing change the rear sprocket. I am enjoying the 15/39 (2 teeth up from stock) but may go a another tooth or 2 on the next sprocket change. The 2 teeth alone transformed the bike in city traffic.

On the tire, the stock size is a 170. As stated earlier some 180s will fit but certain 180s are actually slightly wider and can cause rubbing. I decided to go with a 170 and chose a Pilot Road 2 CT and could not be happier.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dot 3 ,4 , or 5?

About to install my new evo piston. Instructions say use Dot 3 ,or 4 brake fluid. When I was by my Mechanic's the other day he gave me a bit of Dot 5.

Which one is best? What's the dif?

thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Dot 5...

DO NOT USE DOT5!! :eek: I guess your mechanic doesn't know much about Ducati!!:eek:

Use either DOT3 or 4

Vickon:abduct:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the harley bone head gave it to me. My signore wasn't there. Ok

Next question, what did I do to my green neutral light, suddenly not working, and I'm in neutral?

thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Use DOT 4 or 5.1. DOT 3 has too low of a boiling point. DOT 5 is not compatible with any of the components in your clutch hydraulic system. My neutral light stopped working and it was simply that the wires for it had come disconnected from the connection at the back of the engine case. It is on the back side of the case just below the crankcase breather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts