Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your thoughts with me on upgrading my clutch slave to 30mm. My wrist pains me when stuck in traffic and I was wondering if this was the way to go. Would this (claimed 25%) less pull be enough or do I need to get upgraded levers too? Or would levers alone be enough to cure my ache?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much.
That's just the info I was looking for.
Have you, or anyone else done this upgrade?
Whose product did you use?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just purchased the Evolution version from Desmo times. $175. It is the 28mm. hey don't sell the 30mm version. They claim it might be less preasure, but it is more volume of fluid. So that means longer stroke to disengage clutch fully.

The preasure of the lever doesn't bother me, just the leaking slave cyclinder does. So that's why the upgrade.

I should get it the next couple of days. but it will still be a few weeks before I can get out to ride, for the real test.

I'll keep you posted.

Rocketman Bill

·
Registered
125 Posts
Like RocketmanBill, I purchased a Evoluzione 28.5mm slave cylinder from DesmoTimes that I will install this coming spring when I do a yearly maintenance/upgrade effort. I take LT at his word when he says:
NOTE: I only stock the 28.5mm piston size. The 30.5mm size requires too much lever travel and neutral and shifting are compromised. Stay away from the big-bore aftermarket slaves.
Another thing to maybe keep in mind is that although we are supposed to be getting a decrease in lever pressure it may be less than you are hoping. I say this because my brother replaced his slave with the Evoluzione slave cylinder on his DS1000 Multi only to reduce the pull effort. It did but it is still remains considerable. I was hoping that the pull effort would be like some Japanese bikes but that was not the case. I still need to speed the day at work squeezing my cute little hand-spring thingy...

Best

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
If you want to reduce pull, either get lighter clutch springs or remove two of the existing springs. I think there were several pics of motoGP guys running with only 4 springs. I don't believe there are reports of slipping with 4 springs.

A larger slave might make finding neutral harder and give a harder bump when going from neutral to 1st gear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
st clutch up grade

hi
tell me on the older st say st2 do you need to fit a 10mm make up rod same as the rod in the clutch as to make them work or do you replace the old rod for a new longer one ??
mike st2 n ireland uk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yoyodyne

I have a Yoyodyne slave on my ST3. It helped, but I am seriously considering removing a couple of springs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ditto that

A larger slave might make finding neutral harder and give a harder bump when going from neutral to 1st gear.
Both perfectly accurate points.

I went with an STM slave, not for the reduction in pull, but because my OEM slave was failing, and I liked the STM red - complemented the other red bits on my ST.

That said, the clutch pull is much lighter, but I have had a difficult time finding neutral (usually, but not always when the ambient temp. is high), in heavy stop and go traffic and yes, the bump between N and 1st is more pronounced. The bump is a daily thing that I got used to; the problem finding N is by no means daily, but it can be annoying.

I think that other, much more frequent posters have noted this before, but there is a trade-off when upgrading to an aftermarket slave - less strenuous pull but possible incomplete disengagement.

Given all that, I would still go with the aftermarket slave.

Best,

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I did the OEM to Evoluzione slave cylinder replacement last year, and the change wasn't as much as I'd hoped. I've read several other posts with much the same experience with the Evoluzione. I now believe the 29mm Oberon is the way to go, and right now they're on sale at Motowheels.com for $125, which is a hell of a good deal, much less than the Evoluzione. If I were to replace now, that's the one I'd use.

Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for some excellent input.
It sounds like the Oberon is the answer, less clutch pull without the problem of finding nuetral experienced from other products. What did Oberon do right, that is wrong with the much more expensive STM?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
oberon slave

Thank you all for some excellent input.
It sounds like the Oberon is the answer, less clutch pull without the problem of finding nuetral experienced from other products. What did Oberon do right, that is wrong with the much more expensive STM?
I did the Oberon change a year ago and i'm well impressed, less effort and no probs with neutral, excellent product
Brad:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it's finally springtime in Cincinnati and I am about to address the clutch slave upgrade.
I have not made my purchase and was wondering if the Oberon is the answer($125 sure is a nice price). I have a friend who mentioned my looking into Yoyodyne . Have any of you any input on their product, it's $200?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, it's finally springtime in Cincinnati and I am about to address the clutch slave upgrade.
I have not made my purchase and was wondering if the Oberon is the answer($125 sure is a nice price). I have a friend who mentioned my looking into Yoyodyne . Have any of you any input on their product, it's $200?
Personally I like the STM Italy products. I have been using them for years. I like the fact that if you want to add more items everything will match, ie:

* Clutch pressure plate
* Slipper clutch
* Frame plugs
* Oil fill plug
* Crankcase breather
* Clutch and brake fluid reservoirs
* Clutch cover
* Fork pre-load adjusters
* Floating front rotor kit
* Clutch rod push pin

The quality is great and these items are also made in Italy. I also think the STM items just look better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
STM slave here. As for having problems finding neutral:confused: Never had that at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was your clutch slave replacment worth the money (what's the manufacturer)?

My first priority is to lessen the clutch pull in stop and go riding (stuck in traffic) and be a quality product.
Thank you all for your help, what a great web site.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I finished the clutch slave cylinder replacement this morning and now I have the dreaded "can't find neutral and the clutch drags" problem. There's no air in the lines, I've fussed with that enough to be confident that I got all the bubbles out.

I pulled the lever and ran the set screw adjustment in a few turns and that solves that problem. Sort of. The set screw is designed to only allow a very small amount of adjustment which is not quite enough to prevent the clutch drag.

Anyway, unless someone has some insights into this it would appear I'm on the way to a set of CRG levers. Which I had hoped to avoid. :(

Best.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello
I believe I found more hydraulic action with the radial masters than I had with the stock master setup. The "clunk" from neutral all but disappeared and much smoother through all gears. That's with a variety of different aftermarket slaves.

JMHO...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts