Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an annoying and expensive day today.
24K km service. Dropped the bike in yesterday and picked it up this morning. Belts, shims, oils and stuff. It cost an eye watering AUD$1600+.

Here is where it gets interesting. I had clutch slave problems some time ago. See here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/101191-my-bike-tried-kill-me-today-clutch-fail.html

To cut a long story short, The standard slave failed in a bad way and I had to pay for a DP super duper ergal slave to get a better quality unit that would not fail. I used an Evoluzione slave for a KTM before but I had to get back on the road and they had aDP unit on the shelf.

So today, my super duper slave totally failed. The tech said "OH yeah, they (meaning super duper $200 DP ergal clutch slave cylinders) do that all the time. They are OK for the track but not good for the road." Apparently they don't leak fluid out but let air in. When the seals give out, they, and I quote "become scrap when you try to bleed them".

Kudos to the shop as I had to get to work and they ripped a standard slave off a 2nd hand bike as they had no DP units in stock and had me on the road in 20 minutes. I have to take the bike in next week to have the same super duper $200 suck air in DP unit replaced with another that is "OK for the track only" unit.

FYI, the service manager told me that failed clutch slaves was by a long way the most common Ducati warranty claim.They even had a Panigale in the workshop waiting for a new slave. :eek:

I am not keen to leave the DP unit on now that it has failed and the Ducati people slate it. How hard can it be to make a reliable slave cylinder?

An by the way. The clutch pull feels way heavier now that I have the standard unit fitted.

So, any useful information on long term experiences with aftermarket slaves would be appreciated. Evoluzione, EVR, Oberon experiences?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Yoyodyne (California) are the best. Comes with Lifetime Warranty.

EVR (Italy) are great too, but if an issue arises, could be a wait to have it replaced.

I actually have an Evoluzione that is doing its job. But I'm going to replace it with a Yoyodyne MC once I get around to installing my RCS MCs up top.

My ¢.02,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will look at Yoyodyne.

Stradabling,

the pull on a factory slave is so light, why would you need an aftermarket one?
Did you look at the link I posted?
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/101191-my-bike-tried-kill-me-today-clutch-fail.html

The standard slave is either total sh1te or they had a bad batch. Mine failed in a VERY dangerous way. Note the comments from the service manager about the number of slaves they have replaced on a range of models. KTM has the same issue and I think they use the same source for slaves cylinders.

I ride my bike every day. It is not a weekend toy for me so a failed clutch is a big deal. It is not about lever pull but a lighter pull with no downside is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't help you out with your slave cylinder query (mine failed like yours but I just had them replace it under warranty), but holy shit - $1600+ for the 24k service!!!

Is there a kick in the nuts plus $900 option?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like I'm in the same boat; leaky clutch slave. Apparently been a while, since I realised I've completely adapted to having the clutch engagement point WAY in.

Shop shop for a replacement now. I have the extended warranty, but I'll put on an aftermarket just so it won't leak again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder: Ducati on all of my own project bikes now. All the guys here use them on their own bikes as well. It has been the most reliable slave cylinder that we have used or sold since 1999. It is the most reasonably priced as well.
Agreed on the Oberon....great price, easy install, great performance.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I can't help you out with your slave cylinder query (mine failed like yours but I just had them replace it under warranty), but holy shit - $1600+ for the 24k service!!!

Is there a kick in the nuts plus $900 option?
Yes. Still reeling after mine too. $1800 but included new front tyre.did not include chain, sprockets and rear disk a month later. Ouch !

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorcycle.com App

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
mine wouldnt have been more than arouind $1100 including parts.

no valve adjustment required .. but i was told that would make a big difference to final cost .

now that i have new heads , i expect that i wont have to worry about adjustment at 48,000 either :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Tim... what slave did you finally go with ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey TimOz,

My second stock slave cylinder has siezed and it's just out of warranty. In any event, I don't want to put another one of these on so what did you go for in the end?

PJ

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi PJ,
I still have the second DP fitted. Ugly red colour and everything.

They seem to work well in daily use but may fail when bled. This is what happened to mien at the 24Km service.

I have simply not bothered to replace it but I will be up for my next service fairly soon so I will do it then. I have not thought much about it recently but from my research you can't go wrong with either the Yoyodyne or Oberon products. I was going to order a Yoyodyne simply because I have not had one. I used Evoluzione before on KTMs and they are also good.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I had the Evo on my monster and it was just as hard to pull so to me it was useless, the stocks are good but known to go quite easy and I did have an Oberon fail on my SF and ended up blistering the bottom of the engine case powder coating finish because I cought it too late.
Never had the Yoyo but I hear they're good and on the STM they had issues with I was reading in a Italian Ducati site a while back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks TimOz,

I've ordered an Oberon - I'll stick that in and see how it goes. I can't imagine it being worse than than the stock part.

Fortunately, I have a spare bike to ride while I wait for it to arrive.
Unfortunately, it's that short girl's cruiser known as a Honda VT750C. It's 12 years old but fires up first time every time (the Multi stops).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts