Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to slap on the Oberon clutch slave (29mm) on my 2009 GT and have done quite a bit of research. I like my lever set at 4, the smallest span, and am hoping I can keep that setting and still get enough clutch separation to not cause problems. This is unlikely.....but wouldn't new clutch lines help out? Some braided steel ones, so some of the oil pressure is not lost to the rubber hoses expanding? I'd imagine that bit of lost pressure could be the difference between problematic slippage and acceptable slippage.

Also, I wonder if the wet clutches make a difference in acceptable clutch slippage? Anybody out there have direct experience with the oberon 29mm slave on a stock 2009 GT?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Your lines are braided steel, they're just plastic coated to protect the rest of the bike from abrasion, and maybe for the more "retro" look. The "regular" rubber hydraulic hoses are at least twice the diameter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your lines are braided steel, they're just plastic coated to protect the rest of the bike from abrasion, and maybe for the more "retro" look. The "regular" rubber hydraulic hoses are at least twice the diameter.
Ha! Thanks for that. Silly noob here. Guess that idea is out the window...........

·
Registered
592 Posts
A new slave shouldn't affect how your lever sits either as thats set by the adjuster on the lever itself. It does make a big difference to the weight of the pull though and is a very worthy modification to a stock bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A new slave shouldn't affect how your lever sits either as thats set by the adjuster on the lever itself. It does make a big difference to the weight of the pull though and is a very worthy modification to a stock bike.
The new slave will reduce the distance the clutch disks move, though, compared to using the stock slave. That means a longer pull on the lever to get the same separation, which I'm worried will mean I need to move the lever position out to get that long of a pull. Hopefully this isn't the case for the 2009 GT running the oberon, but I haven't heard of anybody with this exact setup yet, so the only way to tell is to try it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have the Oberon on my 08 1000S, the stock line is steel on Your bike. You can set the reach anywhere you want , same as stock. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
The new slave will reduce the distance the clutch disks move, though, compared to using the stock slave. That means a longer pull on the lever to get the same separation, which I'm worried will mean I need to move the lever position out to get that long of a pull. Hopefully this isn't the case for the 2009 GT running the oberon, but I haven't heard of anybody with this exact setup yet, so the only way to tell is to try it.

I dont think that correct otherwise your clutch wouldnt work the same way, the slave makes things easier because the bore of its cylinder is different, the length of the pushrod and the travel remains the same and while it may feel different the action on the clutch is the same.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I dont think that correct otherwise your clutch wouldnt work the same way, the slave makes things easier because the bore of its cylinder is different, the length of the pushrod and the travel remains the same and while it may feel different the action on the clutch is the same.
Monstyr, todgliu is exactly correct. That is how hydraulics work. The Master still moves exactly the same amount of fluid, but a larger Slave has a large bore, so the same amount of fluid equals less Slave piston movement. The ratio of MC piston movement to Slave movement is changed, so the effort is reduced. It's a mechanical advantage issue, you don't get something for nothing.

But JS says that he has no trouble with the same setup, so todglui should be fine even with the lever at its closest setting.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I also have an oversized slave on my bike and it works fine, neither the lever nor the action is different,only the weight required to operate it has changed. While there may be a technical difference in the travel I doubt whether most street riders would notice it-apart from the easier pull of course.
Mine was installed by the dealer at first service so I didn't have to try and fit it where they are a pig to bleed properly which is a problem for some.

If this were such an issue on streetbikes then they wouldn't be recommended quite so readily or as often.:)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Actually, there are a couple sizes of replacement slaves, and there are many reports of drag and trouble finding neutral with the largest sizes. Just going up one size (as you apparently did) seems to be a pure win with no negative consequences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Oberon on my 08 1000S, the stock line is steel on Your bike. You can set the reach anywhere you want , same as stock. Jim
I just installed, so far so good. But the clearance between the slave and the chain is worrisome. It's something like 1mm or so, maybe even less, which is much less than stock. I can't tell from your pic- how much clearance do you have there?

Here I am, slave installed, ready to test my new light clutch, but I can't start her up in fear of shearing off the bottom half of the slave! ha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts