Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.. it's been a while.

I recently installed an EVR slipper on my BIP, and while I was at it I thought it would be good to complain to my mechanic once again about the usual difficulty in going from 1st to 2nd on a cold engine and also how hard it was to get to neutral, especially when stopped. My guy is fairly detailed oriented, so he took on the challenge to figure it out.

Turns out my aftermarket setup was the culprit. I have RCS master cylinders for both front brake and clutch, and I had installed an Oberon slave. That particular setup wasn't moving enough fluid to fully disengage the clutch and as a result it was very sticky.

He suggested going back to the stock slave cylinder, which I would never have thought to do since... as we all know... who wants OEM bits on our bikes, right?

That did the trick beautifully. now it's like butter. and the slipper is pretty awesome... I'm still not fully used to it and expect a strong engine break but it's really super smooth.

I highly recommend.

·
Smut peddler
877 Posts
Did you get the correct diameter slave? Put in the correct shim for the throw out rod measurement? I ask because I have done both incorrectly, with the same results as you. When corrected, the Oberon worked like a charm, way nicer feel than stock if I'm being honest. And of course, the bling factor added somewhere between 1-25 BHP. =)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you get the correct diameter slave? Put in the correct shim for the throw out rod measurement? I ask because I have done both incorrectly, with the same results as you. When corrected, the Oberon worked like a charm, way nicer feel than stock if I'm being honest. And of course, the bling factor added somewhere between 1-25 BHP. =)

I'd be interested to know more please.... I'm running an RCS Master with after market slave and have been forever unhappy with the result.....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Guys, I’m having the same issue. I have an 09 biposto with RCS masters and Oberon slave and clutch pull is killing me when I’m in the city. Do you really think putting the oem slave back will make a difference? I would have thought the Oberon would be far superior!

·
Registered
285 Posts
@JACKIE TREEHORN can you please tell us more about this? When installing the Oberon I did not use the extra metal rod bit as the instructions said it was only needed for older bikes. Is this what you’re talking about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
Guys, I’m having the same issue. I have an 09 biposto with RCS masters and Oberon slave and clutch pull is killing me when I’m in the city. Do you really think putting the oem slave back will make a difference? I would have thought the Oberon would be far superior!
Changing from a 29 mm Oberon to a 25 mm diameter stock slave will actually increase the needed lever pull force.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Changing from a 29 mm Oberon to a 25 mm diameter stock slave will actually increase the needed lever pull force.
I was under the impression that going to 29mm will make the pull softer but at a cost of a longer pull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Because the clutch springs are bloody strong! The design was wrong from the start and the spring pressure gradually increased along with the power of the engines.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Because the clutch springs are bloody strong! The design was wrong from the start and the spring pressure gradually increased along with the power of the engines.
Do you think new springs are in order? OEM or aftermarket? If so, what aftermarket ones are available?

·
Registered
285 Posts
View attachment 980144
Because when you replaced the stock 12 mm clutch master cylinder with a 16 mm RCS you got an increase in lever pull force that was only partially offset by using the 29 mm Oberon slave.
Interesting! So if I were to go with say the Evoluzione slave the pull force would be less hard but pull travel increased? Also, forgot to mention that I have the RCS17 master clutch cylinder.

What would you suggest going with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Smut peddler
877 Posts
@JACKIE TREEHORN can you please tell us more about this? When installing the Oberon I did not use the extra metal rod bit as the instructions said it was only needed for older bikes. Is this what you’re talking about?

For me, it was originally trying to take up the slack at the master, when I shouldve used a shim to make up the difference, in the end burning up my stack. It took a mechanic friend thats smarterer than me to figure that out. Since shimmed correctly to the rods measurement, it's worked like a charm. On my multi, they sold me the wrong diameter slave, and it wouldn't disengage worth a shit. Now, with the correct slave diameter, it's like butta.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Interesting! So if I were to go with say the Evoluzione slave the pull force would be less hard but pull travel increased? Also, forgot to mention that I have the RCS17 master clutch cylinder.

What would you suggest going with?
You need to go to a 32 mm slave (NCR) to get a reasonable lever pull when using a 17 mm master cylinder.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You need to go to a 32 mm slave (NCR) to get a reasonable lever pull when using a 17 mm master cylinder.
Omg, that’s obscenely expensive lol

Ok time to save up I guess. I can see AMS Ducati is selling it for $355 do you know of any stores selling it a bit cheaper?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm assuming that you find that the higher (than stock) lever pull force tolerable?
Well, it's hard to say since I replaced the entire clutch with the EVR slipper. And it's so smooth that it probably tricks my left hand into thinking it's doing less work... ;)

Having said that, the previous set up was so annoying that it just all feels right at the moment.

I turned my classic into a bonafide garage queen with lower clip-ons and higher rear-sets so it looks the part but it cannot be ridden for more than a couple hours without causing pain. (The days of racing up and down the California coast with this baby have been over since I got my KTM1290SAS... )

Seems you got the data so it will be worth looking at that and maybe reconsider the oberon with the right adjustments... Will have to look into that at some point.

But as I said, this new set up with the stock slave is great. Come to think of it, I never had the RCS/Stock slave combo before now since I installed an evoluzione slave at the same time I put the RCS eons ago, and I have been dealing with the same issues for maybe over a decade... and no mechanic had suggested this to me until now. So there you go.

Bottom line, RCS/stock slave combo works perfectly and better than anything I've ever experienced.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Do you think new springs are in order? OEM or aftermarket? If so, what aftermarket ones are available?

Here's how much springs can shrink:

The left is a new stainless steel one from EVR, the right side is original OEM after ~15K miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts