Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears my left hand is aging faster than the rest of me, on longer stop and go rides, my clutch hand almost starts to cramp with significant discomfort, this has me looking at aftermarket slave cylinders for an easier pull.

Any suggestions on which unit to buy?

Thanks

Bill

·
Old Wizard
3,007 Posts
One way to reduce the clutch lever pull force is to change the diameter of the slave cylinder. The force-reduction larger-diameter aftermarket slave cylinder replacements offer around a 20% reduction but at the penalty of needing a longer clutch lever pull to get full disengagement. Be forewarned, going too large a diameter causes problems disengaging the clutch with resulting problems with wear and engaging neutral at a stop.

When that's not enough, a straightforward way to reduce pull effort is to reduce the force pushing the plates together. One way is to change the stock springs to ones having the same height and diameter, but a lower stiffness. The stock spring rate is 67.5 pounds per inch.

Another way is to reduce the number of springs from six to four. This gives a one-third reduction in lever pull as well as a one-third reduction in friction force in the clutch. Depending on the particular bike’s torque output, you might get slippage, but reports from owners say this approach works fine.

At least for awhile ...

Keep in mind that the force between the plates is determined both by the number of springs and the spring preload. Since preload is determined by the stack height, as the clutch friction plates wear the overall stack height decreases and consequently the force between the plates decreases.

So, decreasing your clutch lever force by removing springs will work for a new clutch but as the plates wear you will experience slippage (and accelerated plate wear) and it's likely that you'll have to put them back in to get full mileage out of your clutch. The best way to test for clutch plate slippage is to apply full throttle power in top gear.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I use the OBERON on most of my bikes. They are reliable, lighter clutch pull, easy to install, easy to find neutral, and reasonable price

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
i have been running the 30mm STM for quite some time now with no issues. works and looks good.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I use the OBERON on most of my bikes. They are reliable, lighter clutch pull, easy to install, easy to find neutral, and reasonable price
I also chose the Oberon as well. I was hoping the 29mm bore would ease lever effort yet still give good clutch release. After a season of riding I think it was a good compromise, and it was obviously a well-made quality piece.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Another vote for Oberon, best bang for buck when I bought mine and 3 seasons of no trouble. Have you moved angle of lever on bars yet? I did this right away (Have to pull location set pin) as angle was at a weak spot for grip, by changing that it at least delayed the pain. Oberon got rid of pain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oberon here as well...

I picked my bike up two years ago and was stuck in traffic for an hour - It was a good workout.

The Oberon was easy to install, decreased the effort slightly, and the pull seemed a bit smoother than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
The EVR clutch slave along with shorty levers were installed on my GT recently. So far so good, I'm liking the slightly less resistence over stock.

I'm hoping to get more riding time with it this weekend.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pain is just weakness leaving the body....

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pain is just weakness leaving the body....
I am an avid cyclist, so I am very familiar with this saying.

Thank you for the suggestions, they are very helpful

B

·
Registered
245 Posts
It appears my left hand is aging faster than the rest of me, on longer stop and go rides, my clutch hand almost starts to cramp with significant discomfort, this has me looking at aftermarket slave cylinders for an easier pull.

Any suggestions on which unit to buy?

Thanks

Bill
Hi Bill - I'm not exactly a young man, so I can relate to what you're saying.

For what it's worth, I just installed an EVR progressive clutch pressure plate on my 06 Sport 1K. I was pleasantly surprised with the improved ease and smoothness of the clutch lever. I have no experience with a new slave cylinder and I'm not saying the EVR plate is the solution over a slave cylinder - but it may be worth a try: its a do-it-yourself job (I lack the skills to bleed a system with a new slave) and looks absolutely gorgeous when mounted. If it doesn't work as much as you had hoped, you'll likely have no problem selling an EVR plate in the classified ads here.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think it also might be worth considering an aftermarket clutch/brake lever. I put Pazzo levers on my bike and it had a greater effect than a slave cylinder did. Improved ergos and lever height adjustability were really helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I think it also might be worth considering an aftermarket clutch/brake lever. I put Pazzo levers on my bike and it had a greater effect than a slave cylinder did. Improved ergos and lever height adjustability were really helpful.
indeed, a great improvement to assist - the flexibility of the pazzo was quite effective. i forgot all about that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm 52yrs old and train my grip with a 15lb ball with drop grabs, 3 sets of 10 each hand, once a week. I use stock clutch set up without problems. Cost of ball, $20 buck, the ability to pull the clutch all day, priceless.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I'm 52yrs old and train my grip with a 15lb ball with drop grabs, 3 sets of 10 each hand, once a week. I use stock clutch set up without problems. Cost of ball, $20 buck, the ability to pull the clutch all day, priceless.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
I'm 34 and I have no real problem pulling the stock clutch. Would I like it a little easier, sure. Do I like to buy parts for my bike, YES. So I figure win-win. 20 years from today, I hope to be in your shape :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm 34 and I have no real problem pulling the stock clutch. Would I like it a little easier, sure. Do I like to buy parts for my bike, YES. So I figure win-win. 20 years from today, I hope to be in your shape :)
Mostly I found holding the clutch while waiting on freeway on-ramps or in heavy traffic to be the most annoying. I could do it, but didn't much like it. The Oberon made it better. I like my machine to be my b***h, not the other way around.:D

And since we're pissing in the snow, 58 yrs., 185 lbs, good to go!

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Mostly I found holding the clutch while waiting on freeway on-ramps or in heavy traffic to be the most annoying. I could do it, but didn't much like it. The Oberon made it better. I like my machine to be my b***h, not the other way around.:D

And since we're pissing in the snow, 58 yrs., 185 lbs, good to go!
58 years., 185lbs, 5'3" ? :p

Just giving you crap old man.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking into new levers and a slave.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts