Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has a VeeTwo billet slave cyl. Today, 240 klms from home (isn't it always?), I lost clutch pressure. Pulled in to a garage to inspect and found the reservoir empty, so bought some fluid & filled it up. It pissed out from btwn the slave cylinder and the engine case, wouldn't hold a drop.

Will pull it apart tomorrow so wondering what I should be looking for; it was obviously a sudden and catastrophic failure and had been working nicely up until failure.

Also have the common slow leak from behind clutch basket so will attend to that too (the two couldn't be related could they).

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i'd take it to a brake machine shop. I've got a good one here, i've had them fix 2 stock clutch slaves and never a failure again. They put in a stainless steel sleeve, polish the piston and machine a bigger groove to fit a decent sized seal. I've never seen a veetoo slave but they should be able to access any design flaws and fix properly.

this the one i go to
Slacks Creek Brake and Clutch

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Or just buy a new one - Oberon or similar... Possibly cheaper than messing around with the failed unit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea both leaks are related. The seal in the slave and both seals on the push rod are compromised and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the slave cyl. off and will replace with an Oberon unit.
This will now give me the excuse to attend to the leak behind clutch basket.

Apart from this problem I'm rapt with the bike in the 600 klms travelled so far; very strong engine, unbelievably short braking distances, and superb handling. Should have bought one years ago!

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
You'll notice a significantly lighter clutch action with the Oberon slave. Feels kinda weird to start with, but you get used to it quickly enough.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should be about the same as I didn't have the stock slave, I had a billet Vee Two (not manuf. anymore) and was a very light clutch action.

Cheers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Or just buy a new one - Oberon or similar... Possibly cheaper than messing around with the failed unit.
I know this is an older thread, but just wanted to thank steveb64. Recently acquired a 95 900 SS/SP with only 4200 miles from the original owner. Tried to make sure I had replaced anything with seals, but forgot about the slave cylinder, which promptly spit out all the fluid after a couple hundred miles. The Oberon is wonderful. So much better feel for the clutch now.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
You're welcome. I like the unit I have - it felt a bit strange being so light (at first), but I've gotten used to it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll 2nd on the Oberon. I recently installed one on my '99 ST2 and am very happy with it.

it's good not to have brake fluid dripping on the garage floor anymore!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts