Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 Hyper S. Did valves and oil <1000 miles ago. During the service I changed the clutch cover gasket and cleaned the casings up. Oil is still weeping out of the bottom of the clutch.

When I go in to service the clutch next, what should I be looking for? Is this normal or easily fixed with an oil seal? Something else? Thanks in advance.
IMG_20200702_215615.jpg IMG_20200702_220300.jpg IMG_20200702_220125.jpg IMG_20200702_215720.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a few other posts on this topic that didn't have clear resolutions. My clutch has started slipping so I will be replacing the clutch and trying to address this issue as well and will keep notes on my progress and results here.

Upon disassembly it doesn't seem like there was any oil getting into the clutch plates. However there was a significant amount of oil inside the housing.

2020-08-11 21.12.59.jpg 2020-08-11 21.13.36.jpg

Based on the second photo it seems like the outer seal may be the culprit. I have ordered replacements for all the o-rings and seals I can access from the right side of the bike.

Slipper clutch recommendations also welcome :cool:

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
59 Posts
Does the oil seal in the main shaft still look ok? It’s at the end of the shaft that the push rod runs through.

I doubt the bigger seal would just randomly go bad. Have you recently removed the right side cover? Improper installation can damage them.

I would clean up, dust with a thin coat of baby powder, reinstall the clutch basket bolts using thread sealant, then re check after a ride to find the exact location of the leak.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does the oil seal in the main shaft still look ok? It’s at the end of the shaft that the push rod runs through.
Are you talking about the one here? Seems ok but ordered a replacement anyway for peace of mind.
2020-08-11 21.12.37.jpg

Recently replaced the right side cover and gasket as a first attempt to fix this leak. This has been happening since I got the bike about 10k miles ago but has slowly gotten worse over the last ~5k miles. I will clean it up and reassemble as suggested to see if I can pinpoint the leak this weekend.

EDIT: just to clarify by right side cover I mean the clutch cover, not the cover behind the basket that the pushrod and main shaft run through.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah that’s the one I’m talking about. I’ve never seen one loose enough to come out when the push rod is removed and they are surprisingly delicate, so replacing would be ideal.

When I bought my last bike, it had sat for a while. The clutch gasket had deteriorated to the point where the bolts holding the clutch cover on weren’t tight enough. I had a leak until I re-torqued the bolts, but usually the clutch cover and gasket won’t be the cause of the leak.

I have seen oil leak through the bolts that hold the basket on, which is why I mentioned thread sealant, and the big oil seals are a bitch to replace, so if it’s coming from there, I personally would just live with it.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The threads on the basket bolts were all quite dry so I don't believe that was the cause. Speaking of thread sealant, do you use blue loctite as a substitute for the recommended loctite 510 here or do you have a different suggestion? I think a tube of the 510 is $40-$50...

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This weekend I put the clutch back together as suggested above to see if I could better pinpoint the leak. I had already ordered replacement o rings and seals for everything but while I was waiting it seemed like a good suggestion to really understand what was causing the leak. In summary, it does seem to be the small oil seal on the pushrod as @alexc suspected.

First, here was the bike after a full clean of the area and a 10 mile warmup ride. Absolutely dripping oil.
post test ride.jpg

The oil has made it to edge of the drive plates and is all over the back of the pressure plate. The pushrod hole is really dirty also but I greased the nut before reinstalling so hard to tell what is oil and what is grease.
behind pressure plate.jpg back of pressure plate.jpg pushrod hole.jpg

The inside of the clutch basket is clean. Removing the clutch basket shows that the screws and the rest of the housing is also clean. There's a bit of oil so it's possible one of the larger seals is weeping, but more likely whatever is spilling oil everywhere else is the source. So the large oil seals and the basket bolts are definitely not the problem here.
clutch basket.jpg clutchbasket bolts.jpg clutch housing.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That leaves the pushrod. It looks pretty dry when I pull it out and the double o rings at the end look to be in good shape. However the bearing actually slid right out of the pressure plate upon removal (which it did not do the first time I took it apart). It's clear there is a ton of oil around the top of the pushrod where it seats into the bearing. I cleaned and did not grease or oil this part when putting it back together so this is all fresh oil.
pushrod.jpg pushrod o rings.jpg oily pushrod bearing.jpg oily pushrod bearing 2.jpg

Then the final pushrod seal. I had to use a pick to remove it from the pushrod hole as it didn't come out with the shaft. It looks pretty chewed up on close inspection. Can't even tell if it is made out of rubber or plastic based on the condition.
2020-08-16 16.27.08.jpg 2020-08-16 16.27.11.jpg 2020-08-16 16.27.28-2.jpg 2020-08-16 16.27.29.jpg 2020-08-16 16.27.35-2.jpg

In summary, I am pretty sure this is the problem. I have ordered all my replacement parts and new clutch so it will be a week or two before I can reassemble and report back.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the meantime, here are the before and after photos of cleaning of the cases. So satisfying!
not clean.jpg clean!.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The inner o ring around the spacer seems ok. A bit dry but has retained shape and flexibility.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200817211553482_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200817211717235_COVER.jpg

The outer o ring in the clutch hub seems totally fine.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200817211420908_COVER.jpg

Both of these will also be replaced when the new clutch goes in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cool, just trying to help check off all the boxes. Is your crankcase breather good? If oil leaks from there, it looks like it is coming from the side cover.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New clutch parts arrived and the leaks have stopped! I changed a handful of o rings and an oil seal, all around the pushrod, but I am nearly certain the culprit was an oil seal and o ring on the pushrod installed in the wrong order.

From outside in:
  • Correct sequence: pressure plate, pushrod, o ring, oil seal (which is installed directly into the gearbox mainshaft rather than onto the pushrod).
  • What I removed from the bike: pressure plate, pushrod, oil seal, o ring (or perhaps an additional oil seal, was hard to tell what it was after failure).
Once the o ring failed, the oil seal was just floating and letting oil gush out from behind the pressure plate.

Things I learned:
  • Taking lots of pictures helped me figure out the incorrect sequencing after the fact. I didn't spot this until I was trying to figure out the correct way to install and was comparing the manual to photos I took weeks earlier.
  • Don't get your bike serviced at general dealerships if you can help it (or Munroe Motors specifically if you're in the Bay Area).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts