Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I found my clutch is in need of replacement, after the bike was dropped, and one of the studs broke off. Thankfully, I discovered it before riding it much, and doing some serious damage. So what clutch brand do you all recommend as a replacement?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the post is part of the hub, and most would just fit a genuine hub.

if it's a 748 just take the opposing spring off and leave it at that. no need to replace nuffin.
Interesting. So I can just remove the opposing, and run off four, with no issue whatsoever?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Interesting. So I can just remove the opposing, and run off four, with no issue whatsoever?
I did that on my 900SS (supposedly 80HP) at Ducvet's suggestion and no dramas.
It now feels like a slightly heavy Japanese clutch.
Wish I had known about that from new, rather than suffering pain in my tendons for 18 years.

Edit - non-slipper dry clutch

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I second RockAZ's recommend for an EVR. Doesn't matter if you go with a slipper. or not, EVR is good stuff.

I put a 48 tooth EVR in mine. You'll have to replace the basket but then, you'll be that far into it anyway to replace the hub.

I like it alot. My 996 went from noisy, graunchy and loud with the old worn out stuff to civilized, yet just noisy enough that one can still tell it's a Ducati.

Engagement is much smoother too. Combined with an after market slave cylinder...like an EVR it makes for a much smoother, less noisy engagement. As a plus, lever effort is reduced significantly.

Compared to my 2 GSXRs and my Aprilia, my 996 has the smoothest, lowest effort clutch of them all......sean

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
473 Posts
48 tooth EVR - very nice upgrade. I did the same on my 1198 and the physical damage to the basket/friction plates is greatly reduced. Think it was about $450 for the basket/plates from Motowheels

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If it’s a clean break and you still have the part you can continue tap the thread and use a countersink 5mm from the back to hold the post in place. Done this more times than I care to remember and it works a treat. But as Brad says just delete the opposite spring. Clutch will feel sooooo much nicer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could see my insurance adjuster's face now, when I give him that bill. ?
Unfortunately, I dont think it will fly, though. Probably need to stick with an OEM style, since that is what was damaged. I guess the old adage is true... "speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?"

I second RockAZ's recommend for an EVR. Doesn't matter if you go with a slipper. or not, EVR is good stuff.

I put a 48 tooth EVR in mine. You'll have to replace the basket but then, you'll be that far into it anyway to replace the hub.

I like it alot. My 996 went from noisy, graunchy and loud with the old worn out stuff to civilized, yet just noisy enough that one can still tell it's a Ducati.

Engagement is much smoother too. Combined with an after market slave cylinder...like an EVR it makes for a much smoother, less noisy engagement. As a plus, lever effort is reduced significantly.

Compared to my 2 GSXRs and my Aprilia, my 996 has the smoothest, lowest effort clutch of them all......sean

48 tooth EVR - very nice upgrade. I did the same on my 1198 and the physical damage to the basket/friction plates is greatly reduced. Think it was about $450 for the basket/plates from Motowheels
I don't really mind the noise (even sort of like it). But the feel is very important, second only to performance.

If it’s a clean break and you still have the part you can continue tap the thread and use a countersink 5mm from the back to hold the post in place. Done this more times than I care to remember and it works a treat. But as Brad says just delete the opposite spring. Clutch will feel sooooo much nicer.
Unfortunately, I tossed it out, not even thinking it could be repaired. Good tip though, thanks. I will lock it up in the library, in case it happens down the road... hopefully not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts