Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I've asked this before, but didn't seem to get any solid responses.

The clutch on my 02 900SS is pretty much toasted.

I'd like to do the whole shebang. Light weight flywheel, light weight clutch basket, and new clutch.

I've seen the nichols basket and flywheel.

I've seen the barnett basket and clutch kit.

I've seen the paulimoto basket.

I've seen the STM basket and clutch.

What other options are there? What brands do y'all have experiences with? Which brands would you recomend?

So far, I've seen only the nichols lightweight flywheel, are there other options?

Any advice would be appreciated!

PS: not so interested in a slipper clutch, I won't utilize it, so I can't justify the extra money on it. Maybe later.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
for the pricing...I think MotoWheels has just introduced a sweet clutch package deal worth considering....worth a looksee anyways!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok - so I'm looking at the Evoluzione kit with the single spring in the center. Liking that idea...anyone have any experiences?

Only thing is from MotoWheels it's $1200....as seen here:

click here

BUT! From Options Italia, it's $1000 for the 48 tooth kit and $900 for the 12 tooth kit....

that's a pretty substantial difference!

I'm assuming this would include everything I need? Clutch and everything? I would just need to find a lightweight flywheel then?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can get the OEM Ducati 999R lightweight alloy clutch basket and plate kit for $400 from Section8superbike. I got that when I replaced my clutch, and it's just fine.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
JDuc said:
Only thing is from MotoWheels it's $1200....as seen here:

click here
I boo boo'd a bit...it is not the whole clutch....but maybe you can work something out...it was for a cover,pressure plate and springs as mentioned here..
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=4429

as for 48 vs 12 tooth...I would consider staying with a 12 tooth because of its standardization....once you go 48 tooth....it becomes almost sorta proprietary to a degree.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, we don't need the cover, pressure plate, and springs. We already have all of that. I wish we could get these clutch kits without the pressure plates really....lol

For some reason, I thought the 48 tooth was standard?

What are the advantages to each and the disadvantages? Why are there different options?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Look at the Procutting fitted clutch and basket. The plates/tabs are hand fitted into the matching basket. Makes for a quiet clutch and much longer life. They are pricy though. Around $480 for a red standard basket/set and $520 for a black hard anodized set. You can see them at www.desmotimes.com carries them. I know I want one but couldn't swing it this season so I went with a new Barnett pack.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
B_Cebrian said:
Look at the Procutting fitted clutch and basket. The plates/tabs are hand fitted into the matching basket. Makes for a quiet clutch and much longer life. They are pricy though. Around $480 for a red standard basket/set and $520 for a black hard anodized set. You can see them at www.desmotimes.com carries them. I know I want one but couldn't swing it this season so I went with a new Barnett pack.
I don't care about being quiet. Actually I have grown to be quite fond of the noise...lol

Why do you recomend this set-up over the STM set-up?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the STM it's a good clutch and you'll like it. I simply like the hand fitted plates from a functional point of view. Not so much the lower noise volume, I love my clutch noise and run a open cover. The reason is the tight tolerances mean less tab wear and the longer the basket and plate tabs will last. Means a longer lasting clutch and less replacement.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok - so by hand fitted, what do you mean exactly?

if I were to go with the STM, what's the difference? how are they not 'hand fitted'?

thanks for the info btw!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Complete Billet Slipper clutch with Surflex aluminum plates ($899):

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=442%7CDucati%20Clutch%3A&productID=3066&showDetail=1&categoryID=467|Clutch%20Assemblies%20%26%20Parts%2D%20Slipper&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have PM

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The manufacturer cuts the tabs to fit with very little gap between the friction plate tabs and the slots they fit in the basket. Each clutch pack plate set is fitted to it's specific basket. By keeping the clearance tight there is less relative motion between the tab and the basket. So the tab isn't hitting the basket as hard or abrupt as in a stock setup. Less motion less wear between the tabs and basket. The big draw, for me anyway, is not that the clutch performs any better or worse than any other aftermarket clutch, but that it will last longer between replacement.

·
Registered
602 Posts
JDuc, if your interested in that STM Evo lightweight clutch check out 58Cycle for the best price I've found at $869.95

http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=stm+lw+kit+duc+evo%2Da+48

The clutch pac will set you back another $304.95 through 58Cycle but again it's the best price I've found. I dropped my ST2 off at the dealer today to have this exact clutch installed with a DP lightweight flywheel. It's more expensive than most nonslipper clutches but the basket and clutch plates are claimed to last much longer due to the fact that there is a greater amount of contact area between the plate tabs and basket (48 vs. 12). Less noise and basket notching is claimed. I'll find out in a few days when I get my bike back how it feels and sounds. STM makes real nice clutches.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Multiple Choice Question

I've run Nichols, STM, and some off brand I can't remeber. On those baskets I've run various pressure plates. My current set up is Procutting basket/barnett pack with STM pressure plate and a set of stock springs with full cover caps.

The ProCutting clutch pack is a far better set-up. I run it without a cover at all. It is smooth, confident, and sounds like it sings. No annoying clacking.

I don't believe a "Ducati" sounding clutch is anything more than an excuse (flame me if you want). A well engineered design shouldn't sound like a bucket of rivets. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
danielspdx said:
You can get the OEM Ducati 999R lightweight alloy clutch basket and plate kit for $400 from Section8superbike. I got that when I replaced my clutch, and it's just fine.
did the same on my 748, great price, and it spins up pretty quick, hey I am I the only duc owner on a budget! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
sorry to restart an old threat here. Duc_748 says 'am I the only one on a budget' well.... NO.......

I am on a budget aswell (not a, I can't afford to run the bike budget) but a getting as much performance/durability for a reasonable cost.

I was speaking to the ducati guys where I leave and they said that 9000 miles is about the time to replace my clutch (it is pretty noisy!!). But they said the best thing I can do is put in a ST4 alloy clutch basket and plate set. They seem to think that is the best option for durability and performance at reasonable money.

Anyone agree/disagree?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Clutch

Check out todays (1-16-07) Daily Desmo @ www.desmotimes.com. He talks about a new Barnett clutch package. He also has a bunch of different levels of clutch upgrades depending on your budget. Gregg

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Phill748 said:
I was speaking to the ducati guys where I leave and they said that 9000 miles is about the time to replace my clutch

disagree?

I got over 18 thousand miles out of my stock 748s cpack , and it still had
plenty of bite left . Granted the only time i ever used the lever was at stops
and starts .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts