Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been having an clutch issue of late which has had me replace alot of the clutch parts. Basically what happens is that the clutch friction zone is unpredictible at random times. It sometimes lets out as expected and sometimes it feels as the clutch is just dumping while im trying to take off as if i let it go all the way out toward the middle of my start from a stop. I have bled the system many times. I have replaced the plates and the slave cylinder. Please if anyone has any ideas or sugestions let me know as I am at an loss. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
given what you have replaced i'd think the master cyl is suspect.try the bike in gear with the clutch in for a while .if you can't find neutral after some time the fluid is likely bypassing the seals

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah nutral is super hard to find. but i dont want to spend that much money on and master cyl and find out that is not it either. what other things could be causing this behavior?

·
Registered
263 Posts
you probably just need to move your lever out to the max setting since you swapped the slave...

since the engagement seems to alter with use I'm guessing you are building up a lot of heat in there which is affecting the performance... hard to find neutrals usually means the clutch isn't fully disengaging

swapping the master cylinder will just change the distance and ferocity of the lever pull

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Did you do search on "clutch" issues in the superbike section ? I don't mean to offend, but some people have not bled the master properly...or like in my cause took awhile to figure out the seal on the clutch lever piston going into the master was not 100%. That tiny tiny issue of an imperfect seal allows very small amounts of air into the sytem, some times it bothered the clutch operation some times not. When neutral began to be difficult to find that was always a key the air was back to the point of needing a rebleed. Sometimes I would only get a few clutch pulls of problem free operation..some times it went for weeks being ok. I have since replaced the master on my 999s and no longer have any issues. Search history will show a long history of 749/999 issues and that painfully slow failing brembo master. My prior 999 did the same thing. One other note: I had good results prior to the full master replacement with using a high quality clutch fluid with better heat and "foaming" resistance. I purchased from a site vendor here. I don't have the can infront of me...but recall it offered twice the performance the normal stuff does. While nothing will fix a leak, the fact it would "bubble up less" helped until I replaced the master.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts