Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an instructor for a trackday organization and on 1st june I was attending a trackday at Loudon, NH. After about 4 or 5 sessions in 85 degree weather, it became tough to get my 2003 999S into neutral. A little later in the day, the bike started to try to pull away as soon as I got it in gear unless I REALLY pulled the clutch lever all the way to the handlebars.

My question is this: Do I need to replace the clutch plates, or should I be looking more at the slave cylinder and bleeding the hydraulics? I'm a competent mechanic, but I'm new to Ducatis and I don't have any experience with dry clutches or hydraulic clutches.

The bike has 9k miles on it and all the clutch components are stock as far as I know. I don't mind spending a bit of cash on parts that are going to give me a quality or performance improvement, but I'm not going to blow cash on bling.

Any suggestions on how far I should go on a clutch rebuild? Should I get an aftermarket slave cyl? Ducati original plates or aftermarket? Is a vented cover a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
comrade moderator
26,858 Posts
Sounds like it's time for fresh fluid and a good bleed. Your plates and stuff are fine...it's a dis-engagement problem, not an engagement problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuckracer said:
Sounds like it's time for fresh fluid and a good bleed. Your plates and stuff are fine...it's a dis-engagement problem, not an engagement problem.
Great! Being a cheap sumbitch that is music to my ears. Thanks!

Any recommendations on fluid?

derek

·
comrade moderator
26,858 Posts
He he...yeah, I hear that! Naw, any new, sealed container Dot3 will be fine. I really can't believe there is any difference between the Dot3 available at an auto parts store, and the more expensive stuff...maybe someone here can shed some more light on choices?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have some AP racing 600 that i believe is dot 4 or 5. I'll have to check, and look in my service manual to see what they spec out.

·
comrade moderator
26,858 Posts
If it's not fresh, buy some new stuff or you'll run into the same problem very soon. Brake Fluid absorbs moisture like a mad mo-fo when not in a sealed container.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definitely do a complete flush...

I normally just use any old DOT4... or a DOT5.1 would work.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I like Valvoline DOT 4. I saw comparison chart [somewhere...I can't find it in this mess] showing it had a higher boiling point. I run it in both my clutch and brakes under pretty severe conditions, and it holds up. you should be able to get it anywhere. I get mine at *cringe* Autozone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the advice. I bought a mityvac, a bottle of Valvoline DOT4 and had the old dirty goo out of there and new fresh stuff in, in about 15 minutes. Good as new.

derek

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chuckracer said:
+1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts