Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled some of the clutch plates out today and took a look at them. How much material should there be? The little pads. how much depth of material should there be?

How long would your average dry clutch last?

What are my options for my supersport?

I want to go light if at all possible (go ahead and do the clutch basket and the flywheel all at once).

Are there any special tools needed to swap out these things?

Any links would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I've seen a few different options, like a 40something tooth and a 12 tooth clutch? What are teh advantages/disadvantages to each? I've heard that there isn't a difference, but if that's truely the case, then why make two different tooth configurations?

Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Haynes manual says 2.8mm minimum thickness for the friction plates and 36.5mm minimum for the whole clutch pack. This is for carb model 900ss but modern is likely to be the same.

Just been through this myself and the only thing I really needed was a clutch holding tool - trust me, you'll need something to hold it all to get the nut tight enough. You can make one up but I took the easy and more costly way out. Already had a torque wrench - needs to be at least 180-200Nm for the clutch nut.

I went with a Nichols basket, VeeTwo hub and Barnett clutch pack. The original hub had some wear but most may have been in the cush rubbers. VeeTwo hub is one piece and does away with the rubbers. Is so much quieter that the old set. Also got a Speedymoto pressure plate to finish that side and a Yoyodyne slave for the other. Just have to get the snapped off bleed nipple out - couldn't find my lost new ezy-out today.

Not sure how long they last but some-one will surely chip in. Only had mine 4 months and done about 1,000kms or so but it is ever so much fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts