Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went and looked at a 2001 750 Super Sport today. The bike hadn't been fired up in more than a year. After starting it, I tried to take it for a ride but every time I put it in gear it would stall immediately. I think the clutch wasn't engaging, so when I put it in gear with the brake on it stalled out. I don't know the bike (or the guy!) well enough to try putting it in gear while rolling downhill, but I have a feeling, based on how the bike lurched, that that would have worked.

I've been around bikes for years but don't claim to be a mechanic, and have never sat on a Ducati till today so they're a bit of a mystery. I know that a lot of things can be wrong with a bike that's been sitting for a long time but as far as I know the bike worked fine when it was ridden last year. I'm wondering if there are any hidden things I should worry about, like if this is a sign that there's a bigger known issue with Ducatis or what. I'm pretty interested in the bike and plan on going back Monday (It's Saturday night now) to make an offer, but I'd like to have as much knowledge as possible first.

Thanks, and be gentle to this noob!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Clutch not disengaging?

Sounds more like the plates are not separating when you pull in the clutch. Does it jerk forwards a bit when you put it in gear? If so, then it is probably the plates not separating.

Do you have a race/paddock stand to allow you to try it with the back wheel off the ground? Running it this way may free up the plates.

Also you could try pulling the clutch lever in and releasing many times with the engine running in neutral. The spinning and eventual engine heat may release the plates.

If I was selling my bike, I would have gone right over it, taken it for a run etc. to make sure it was ready for sale.

I don't know about the wet clutch models, my 900 is a dry clutch, but maybe you can whip off the clutch cover to have a look. You should be able to see the plates move apart when you pull in the clutch lever.

I would be cautious about the bump start, as you may not be able to get it back into neutral and will have to stall to stop. Neutral, on mine at least, is a bit hard to find even with a clutch. Finding neutral when rolling to a stop works well for me.

If you do buy it, I recommend you change oil, filters, fuel asap. These are simple to do at home and do not require special tools. If it has been standing for a long time I would also use a cleaner in the fuel tank. The Duc recommended one is TUNEAP 213 from memory. Alternatively, see your local bike shop and tell them it has been standing for ages and what do they have.
Richard

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
It is lurching - I should read more carefully!

The clutch plates are definitely not disengaging, so try my suggestions or look for another Duc.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
sounds as if the clutch plates are sticking together, not to un-common
with bikes that have a wet clutch, if they are not used for some time.

you could either:

- have the clutch assembly dis-assembled, to seperate the discs carefully
with a screw driver and put everything back together.

-try to free the clutch with the bike not being dis-assembled: push the bike
with cold engine* and someone sitting on it, then shift into first or second with-
out using the clutch, the resulting "bang" should free the clutch, i do this with
my Vespas for ages, they have wet clutches too.

cheers and welcome to this board. :)

@Punch: i think it won't stop stucking with simply riding it, it never did
with my vespas, no matter if you pull the lever, go for a ride, or whatever.

my suggestion: buy the bike cheap and fix it as mentioned.

*engine not running at all

·
Registered
39 Posts
clutch issues

obviously depending on the price of the bike --service records -- it might be in your best interest to pick it up becuase from what youve described sounds only like a clutch issue -- a truly simple fix -- there is nothing super tricky to a 2v desmo motor -- even though ducati no longer has an official US distribution -- the worse case will be spending labor and maybe a bill on a set of plates -- might have missed it but what r the miles on it? def a good scoop and easy fix if its for a great price -- but also keep in mind --not knocking the 750 -if youre looking for a incredible track flicker supreme machine for handling --if youre looking for out right super fast power trying to keep up with the big inlines--well might want something bigger -- good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice - I picked up the bike yesterday. To answer some questions, it only has 6600 miles and I'm the third owner. It's in extremely good shape overall.

I've taken a closer look and I don't think it's the clutch anymore - I mistook the ca-chunk of it going into gear as it stalling out, but from what I've read the Ducks make a bit of noise when they're shifted. It doesn't lurch forward when I put it into gear, it just dies. I took it down the road, got a rolling start with it running and tried putting it into gear with the clutch pulled - It didn't lurch or pull or anything, it just died.

I don't think it's the kickstand switch because when I put the stand up with the key on, I hear what sounds like a fuel pump solenoid making noise. But maybe there are multiple wires that do different things? I'm out of ideas so I'm open to any suggestions. I have a Haynes manual on order and I've downloaded the owner's manual from ducati.com. Right now the bike is waiting for me to ride it!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Wiring diag, sidestand and parts list

This is the wiring diag for a 900SSie 2001 that I "coloured in" to make tracing simpler. It should be the same for the 750.

As a side comment, you can disable the sidestand switch function by pulling apart the connector that is about 15" from the sidestand, then get some copper wire and wrap it around the pins in a figure of 8. This way the ECU sees the sidestand as up. Just remember to put it up, not start it in gear with it down etc.!

The switch should be open circuit when down and close to zero Ohms when up in case you want to test it and not do the mod. My connector was corroded which made the ECU think the stand was down.

This is a link to the parts list for the US 750SSie. The parts lists are very useful, even if you have a workshop manual.

Richard

http://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/ss750ie_usa-01

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Personally I wouldn't "disable" the sidestand switch by any means. There are work-arounds that act like 04+ Ducs in the respect that givin the bike is in gear with the sidestand down it will be killed. I've made several for myself as well as other pre 04 Duc enthusiasts, it gets the job done and it's much safer then relying to remember the thing is down when you take off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information, Punch! I don't want to permanently disable the kickstand kill switch but it will help in testing the issue.

One question - On that image attachment, the only Stand connector I see is number 25, "Stand light switch" - I don't have any light that tells me that the stand is down - Should I?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Side stand "light" switch

There is definitely no light. This switch feeds into the Marelli 15M ECU to say if the stand is up or down and therefore to allow cranking or not.

Personal opinion of course and each to their own. I like to warm up the bike on the sidestand for a few minutes before riding, while I put my gear on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Punch, you are my hero! I put a hundred miles on the bike yesterday!

Here's a quick diagram of the wiring setup:

|magical place under the tank|-----X1------X2---Kickstand

X1 is the first molex connector, X2 is the second that plugs into the kickstand. I unplugged X1 and stuck a speaker wire in both ports to cross the wire, and the bike no longer stalled when putting it into gear. I assumed it was a corrosion issue with X2 so I chopped the wire behind X1 and spliced it together. However, it turned out that the issue was the wire popping out of a loose seat in X1. Since I couldn't get the wire back in I chopped the wire before X1, spliced THOSE wires together, and was good to go!

So the downside is, since I want things done right, I need to buy both wires somewhere. My local Ducati dealer is closed today, I'll go tomorrow and get prices. Hope it's not too much.

Again, many thanks! I might have been able to figure this out, but your diagrams took a TON of time out of the troubleshooting piece!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Connectors etc.

Glad you are up and running.

Remember if you get new connectors, make sure they are waterproof and that you put them on such that the higher one overlaps the lower.

Richard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts