Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, new to Ducati.MS and guided here by a couple of guys I met on the side of the road.

Recently purchase my first bike a 97 Ducati 600SS and having clutch slip problems. Has done only 12000KM and after it has heated up after about 20-30 minutes the clutch slips and makes it un ridable.

Read a few threads explaining about the back flow into the clutch fluid resivour and hoping this is the problem but the resivour only has one hole. Someone suggested that there maybe a side ways flow and you would not see the retun of the fluid. Have also backed out the adjuster on the clutch lever but cannot get any free play in it so am thinking that the clutch maybe riding.

Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
clutch master cylinder, its a disease on 90's SS models from what I can tell.

Replaced mine with a modern brembo.

I tried looking for a rebuild kit first. But I didnt look very hard, so perhaps a member can suggest a place.

bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it have the right oil in her? I hear certain oils can cause clutch slippage. With so little k's sounds strange it should be slipping.

Take it to someone who knows duc's in your area.

There's threads in here about the right oils for our bikes, might be something as simple as the wrong fluids.

Good luck

·
Registered
742 Posts
First try an oil change. Use oil specific for motorcycles, they have "friction parts" in it.
If it is still slipping, put in new clutch plates.

Since it only slips when hot, I guess fresh oil might do the trick!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Results

Thanks guys, tried everything and it turned out to be the slightest of leaks in the mastercylinder. Changed it, bleed it and rode for 2.5 hrs with no problem. I am now a happy Ducati owner again.

Thanks again for your replies.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts