Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I and still a new guy on the block but have been hanging out over at Super Sport... since I have the '99 900SS.

I have a leaky clutch push rod and am seeking knowledge and understanding of where the leak might originate. I posted over at SS but no replies yet.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experience on the subject.

Bob
in Salt Lake City.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Funny you mention that... I've been having a similar issue and think I might have determined where it came from. The pushrod travels through the drive gear and there are 3 seals, (2) on the slave cylinder side and 1 on the clutch side. The slave side has 2 o rings, the other side has this nice fancy beveled seal that sits inside the drive shaft.

That seal needs to be replaced every few years, it just wears out. After you replace it, and it keeps having issues, then we can talk more. My seal is getting blown out because my pressure plate wobbles on the shaft. Its not a bad bearing, but there is a little seat that sits inside the bearing which the pushrod attaches too and that seat is worn out. The pushrod can then wiggle inside the seal and destroy it, which on my bike it does pretty quickly.

Man, what a pain in my ass! I've gone through 6 clutch plates because of that issue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tye... are you speaking of the pyramid (sorta) shaped rubber "seal" that goes inside the clutch slave cylinder and the two small o-rings that side on the shaft inside of it?

I believe that the neither of these parts are actually seals but more like dust covers. I think the o-rings are there to sort of hold the end of the rubber thinghy. My leak is coming around the clutch push rod where it enters the case.

As I study the parts fiche I cannot see a seal on the inside... there was a hint on another forum that it might be a bad (gasket) seal between the alternator cover and the crank case... Thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I 'm not trying to start a fight here, just trying to understand.

I have installed the O-Rings several times as well as the bellows type of rubber "seal". They are about 6 days old at this point.

Please see this page: http://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/ss900ie_usa-00

Part number 27 and 30. I do not detect much pressure applied to the o-rings from the slave side so I wonder (just askin') where the strength comes from to keep the oil contained on the other side of the case wall?

I appears to me that the small end of part number 27 presses against the case wall, with the o-rings behind/inside it.

What am I missing here?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Hmm... Well, #30 are definitely the o rings on the shaft, they actually sit inside the motor, not inside the slave cylinder... thats a misrepresentation on Ducati's part in the picture. Part #27 back is part of the slave cylinder itself. There should be a seal between the slave cylinder and the block of the motor, not sure why thats not listed.

Leaks in that area come from 2 places... The o rings on the push rod shaft and a bad slave cylinder. Perhaps its not oil, perhaps its brake fluid?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, all I can say is that the Service Manager and the Parts Manager at Salt Lake Motorsports Ducati dealership came out to look at my bike to see what I was talking about. Then they got the parts and printed that page from their parts fiche and gave it to me.

That plus the fact that the old o-rings were there under the slave cylinder and the clutch rod protection cover when I took the old and torn protector off.

Next time I am over there I will point out the error Ducati has made.

Regarding the seal on the slave cylinder assembly, it is likely part number 23, the one that says Seal Ring.

Thank you for your concern and help on this mystery.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clutch slave cylinder is not leaking. I may replace it at some point when it does leak.

The only way it is leaking is if it somehow transformed DOT4 into 15W-50 and got it on the outside of the slave cylinder seal and on the other side of the clutch rod protector and two o-rings without getting the slave/protector/o-rings wet on the inside.

Thank you for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts