Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the clutch on my '95 900SS CR. The clutch pushrod is pretty worn on the clutch side. It has a groove where I believe the clutch end rides in the needle bearings. The needle bearing are in pretty good shape, not seized, not obviously worn. I'd like to get a new clutch pushrod or a used one in good shape. Any tips on where I could pick one up? I will replace the o-rings and clutch end seal but would like top replace the rod also.

--Jim

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I am assuming that it is still available from Ducati--If So just order it from your local Ducati dealer and call it a day

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
A Ducati dealer ? Many sell online if you’re not close. Duc of Omaha for one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My nearest Ducati dealer is 130 miles and an 11,000' mountain pass away. The two dealers I went to in person both told me they couldn't even look up parts before 2000. Trying to avoid another long trip during the winter. Have found no online OEM parts dealer that lists parts before 2000.

I'll call them but from Ducati of Omaha
For Prior Years - SORRY, we no longer offer online parts services for anything before 2000 due to sketchy availability and inaccurate/outdated information in the parts diagrams.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
....For Prior Years - SORRY, we no longer offer online parts services for anything before 2000 due to sketchy availability and inaccurate/outdated information in the parts diagrams.

I'll call them but from Ducati of Omaha .
Yes - online lookups with them is not offered, call them, a lady who really knows her stuff looks it up in seconds to get the part number - she will call you back after a run to the shelves to check. They can get, like your not so local dealer, many other parts from Italy which adds 3-5 days to shipping.

BTW, I'm not convinced that wear is significant as long as the rod is completely straight it should work fine. If I recall correctly, it is reversible, put it back in the other way.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
11720041A so you are looking at $50 USD which usually comes with brand new o-rings as well.

often times the seal lets dust into the bearing that then works well to cut the pushrod so be sure to change the pushrod seal at the same time.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Isn’t the rod from a 2001 model the same ? I was wondering if turning the rod around would put the wear points in new spots. Put it in backwards and see if it will solve your problem.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
There was a running change in the rods. The "new" rods have an anti-spin pin that engages with the new style master cylinder. The old style could fuze to the bearing/tophat/pressure plate and drill a hole in your clutch slave. The new ones engage the slave with the cross-pin to prevent that.

The new style definitely are not reversable. The old ones, maybe? There are o-rings in very specific places for a reason.

What master cylinder are you using?

Send me your email and I'll forward you a crappy copy of the parts diagram that includes part numbers in a non-searchable non-OCR PDF file. Or use Stein DInse for parts research. Their interface is clunky, but will let you search a part number and will automatically show you superseded parts. https://www.stein-dinse.biz/Ducati

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes - online lookups with them is not offered, call them, a lady who really knows her stuff looks it up in seconds to get the part number - she will call you back after a run to the shelves to check. They can get, like your not so local dealer, many other parts from Italy which adds 3-5 days to shipping.

BTW, I'm not convinced that wear is significant as long as the rod is completely straight it should work fine. If I recall correctly, it is reversible, put it back in the other way.
I'll give them a call. The pushrod is not symmetrical and not reversible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was a running change in the rods. The "new" rods have an anti-spin pin that engages with the new style master cylinder. The old style could fuze to the bearing/tophat/pressure plate and drill a hole in your clutch slave. The new ones engage the slave with the cross-pin to prevent that.

The new style definitely are not reversable. The old ones, maybe? There are o-rings in very specific places for a reason.

What master cylinder are you using?

Send me your email and I'll forward you a crappy copy of the parts diagram that includes part numbers in a non-searchable non-OCR PDF file. Or use Stein DInse for parts research. Their interface is clunky, but will let you search a part number and will automatically show you superseded parts. https://www.stein-dinse.biz/Ducati
I'm using an STM slave cylinder, old style, no cross pin. The pushrod I have is definitely not reversible. The o-rings on the slave cylinder end will not be in the correct location to seal if reversed. mechanically I suppose it might work but would not seal correctly.

Thanks for help. Will send you email.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
http://www.morningtonmotorcycles.com.au/ducati-spare-parts

have # going back to 92 for all models. won't send overseas, but the # will get you what you need. they are right, lots of parts from these models are now nla, and often you have to order them, backorder them, wait a couple of months, then complain about non delivery to provoke someone in italy to look for it, then look for the manufacturer, find they're long gone and decide that it's too hard, etc, and officially make it nla. so after a few months the dealer and then you get told "sorry, it's nla". at that point some people have to throw a screaming hissy fit because they're arseholes and that's just how some people operate. so the people in retail who have to deal with said arseholes make blanket decisions or statements to stop the problem before it's a problem because they really don't need to deal with the screaming hissy fit. that's retail - for every calm and understanding person there's at least one arsehole.

2001 onwards has a longer pushrod to suit the redesigned slave. i think that probably only comes as an anti rotation now, but you can just knock the pin out.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
When it’s a wear part for a recent model year, I’m not real understanding either. There are dealers around my area that for some reason, probably cost, don’t keep wear parts in stock, or keep 1 part even when it fits multiple models and years. A dealer recently forced me to buy a bag of ten rather than open the bag and sell me two. Nobody needs 10 but the dealer. It was either buy a bag or wait for single packs to come in. Had they sold me two they’d have had 8 to sell singly at a bigger mark up. I told them I won’t be coming back, after dealing with them for probably 40 years. I’ll drive 20 more miles now, and enjoy the ride. I plan on stopping by and letting the owner know why he’s losing a customer.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
A dealer recently forced me to buy a bag of ten rather than open the bag and sell me two. Nobody needs 10 but the dealer.
I had a similar experience. The dealer explained that some superseded SKU's from Ducati are multi-pack only. When I buy the last "single" it forces them to buy the multi-pack SKU, which they don't want on their budget line. Don't recall what for, but single piece pricing was something small like $0.85, so the bag was $8.50. Still less than I would have paid in shipping from elsewhere.

There's only one Ducati dealer in town; I can either pay shipping from an internet vendor, or I can keep these guys in business so I have a place to go when I need help in the future.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
That’s a very important thing in the long run. I am willing to pay more at a local dealer, too, as long as the price difference isn’t ridiculous . It wasn’t a Ducati dealer in my case, but it’s the same principle. That one transaction proved what they were about.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I was quoted $685 for the starter and $1600 to install it by my local Ducati dealer on my 900SS, it would have been the first one their mechanics had done....

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
You’re paying them to do a training exercise on your bike and risk damage by someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing, and pay a premium to do it. Gee, nothing could go wrong with that. I dick around and drink beer while I work. I fix other things I don’t like. I clean everything up really well. I paint stuff if it needs it. I bought a new guaranteed starter on eBay for $100. I couldn’t get the cable off the starter easily. I upgraded the cables from battery to starter. It took me maybe 3 hours tops.

Reactions: psyopper
1 - 20 of 21 Posts