Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fun spring ride yesterday, but as I went to pass a car on a rare straight section the clutch slipped... so what's a good source for plates with Desmo Times being shut down for a year?

Thanks,
Brad-in-STL

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
07 ST3. Wet clutch? How many miles? I don't think I've heard of anyone actually wearing out frictions. I guess it can happen depending on miles and how you use the clutch. I'd try flushing and bleeding the clutch fluid first. For new plates, if needed, wet are not the same as the dry clutch parts. Not as prevalent in the open market that I can see, but truly haven't looked. Barnett probably makes a kit, and also OEM.

·
Super Moderator
4,912 Posts
I have an '06 ST3 with wet clutch. Replaced mine with a Barnett kit (at 34K miles). I understand that the life expectancy of the Barnett clutch isn't as good as the OEM. I was being cheap and went with the Barnett. So far, after 13K miles, no problems yet with the Barnett.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Are you using motorcycle oil? If you use Mobil1 car oil, for example, the friction modifiers in the car oil may make your clutch slip. Motorcycle oils don't have the same friction modifiers...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would agree to check these two issues first. Any air introduced into the hydraulic clutch via a leak will partially engage the clutch when the slave heats up and Stick is right about the auto oil not playing well with wet clutches.
I also find it unlikely that the clutches are worn out. Clutches on a street bike usually lasts the life of the bike. Food for thought.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
702 Posts
Any air introduced into the hydraulic clutch via a leak will partially engage the clutch when the slave heats up ...
Perhaps, if the vent port in the master cylinder is completely plugged or blocked by a incorrectly positioned piston — but not likely.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not a Ducati clutch but have been running Shell Rotella T4 in my 96 ZX11 for last 6 years, 120,000 miles with no problems so far. Sorry, don't want to start talking about oil. I have been satisfied with the Barnett clutch pack in my 03 ST4s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a fun spring ride yesterday, but as I went to pass a car on a rare straight section the clutch slipped... so what's a good source for plates with Desmo Times being shut down for a year?

Thanks,
Brad-in-STL
Might want to check your free play at the lever. You should about 1/8” before the pin starts to push the master cylinder’s piston in. The clutch lever has a barrel with the threaded pin running through it and a small set screw locking it in place. If that pin is pushing on the piston at all, you’ll end up,with a slipping clutch. I‘ve used Barnett plates In just about every bike I’ve owned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts