Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: :mad:
I just got this 1999 Ducati 748 with 28000 on the clock.

Below are some pictures of my clutch after i have removed the carbon fiber cover.

I think I will use this as an accuse to get a kit from desmotimes. I believe that this is proof that my clutch basket has about had it.

Is this type of wear normal??? What are your takes? How bad is it?

Looks pretty tired eh? :eek: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Yeah, That looks pretty much worn out. My guess is that the friction plates are pretty much worn out aswell..

//amullo

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Justification has become the basis for life as we know it :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL thanks guys! No wheelies for me... LOL. I have been noticing a wee bit of clutch growl as of late. This caused me to take a look at it and i found this. It has pretty substancial grooving in the basket and the friction plates have definitely about had it.

Piece by piece ill try and get a good clutch together. Thanks all.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Just ride it until it starts slipping......I wouldn't change it until it needs it...Looks crappy, but..if it doesnt slip, keep riding it..

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you can't afford new pieces (you're gonna want to replace both the basket and plates), take out the plates and clean them, and blow out all those dust. At least, change out those springs and caps. Bet you that the growling sound is from all the dust in there. That looks just like mine on the ST2. She ran fine, no problem, but she was loud (which some people love, some hate.)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for you input so far.

I notice she seems to slip just a bit as i downshift or as i granny shift into a higher gear. Its a bit tough to describe the feeling it is really-hell, i cant quite tell if its really a "slip" per se. It is only for a split second but i cant say that I've noticed it ever before. Its almost like a quick vibration that i feel in the shifter on my foot. I dont believe its the back tire slipping either. Its so tough to describe... GAH!

P.S. I'm slowly gathering parts for my new clutch assembly... piece by piece. i figure, the bike has almost 30,000 miles on it, its deserving of a new clutch assembly. Is there a good write up with pictures and explanations anywhere on here or the net that i may look over to assure i do it right? I will be replacing the basket, friction plates, pressure plate, springs, cover, and all. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Really, a new clutch is not that expensive!!! I replaced mine with a barnett, its quiet and works perfectly. Why even ask,, Just do it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Find a friend with impact wrench. Buy or make clutch holder tool. You'll need a 32 mm socket to take out the nut holding the drum. The problem I had is when I tried to tighten the dang bolt. 181.5 lb-ft is quite a bit of force. The trick I used is to remove the foot rest, take piece of long bolt, covered with duct tape, and slide it through the hole on the swing arm on my ST2. As tightned, the clutch holder tool handle would move against this bar so I can tighten the bolt. Oh, if you're making the tool, make sure the handle is made out of a metal at least 1/4" thick. Any thinner, it would twist...trust me on this :)

Thanks everyone for you input so far.

I notice she seems to slip just a bit as i downshift or as i granny shift into a higher gear. Its a bit tough to describe the feeling it is really-hell, i cant quite tell if its really a "slip" per se. It is only for a split second but i cant say that I've noticed it ever before. Its almost like a quick vibration that i feel in the shifter on my foot. I dont believe its the back tire slipping either. Its so tough to describe... GAH!

P.S. I'm slowly gathering parts for my new clutch assembly... piece by piece. i figure, the bike has almost 30,000 miles on it, its deserving of a new clutch assembly. Is there a good write up with pictures and explanations anywhere on here or the net that i may look over to assure i do it right? I will be replacing the basket, friction plates, pressure plate, springs, cover, and all. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for your help everyone. My plan to replace the clutch basket, pressure plate, friction packs, and springs IS expensive, no matter how you cut it (when you buy quality parts at least).

I know how to get the pressure plate off, that's really no big deal. Is there a full write up on how to install the whole assembly? The basket, plates, springs, pressure plate??? With pictures? I just don't want any surprises.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. My copy of the DesmoTimes "Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance and Modification Guide" book had just arrived today actually. :abduct:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
That clutch looks new compared to the one in my ST2. The tabs on the plates of my bike look a LOT worse than yours. The friction material still functions and the clutch does not slip. I've had a spare clutch sitting on the work bench just waiting to be installed....that was 13k miles ago when I bought it. The original clutch now has 45k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess i could just ride on it until it starts slipping a lot. I could just gather all the components together and make it a winter project...along with a tear down and cleaning. Its good to know that its looks can be deceiving. ha ha. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can pull the basket out and file down the grove peaks so you don't have dips if they are not too deep.

(I've not tried this but read it in the Haynes manual)

There are some pretty interesting ideas on the forum on cleaning up the plates, from wd40 to simple green to good 'ol brake cleaner :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts