Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my clutch pack out last night because there is some clank going on at low rpm when I'm taking off. It appears to be the original clutch. Yeah, 21k on the bike. The basket (also own) has the expected grooves but it looks okay for its age. The plates have the one side of the teeth bashed in and the friction material is barely there to non existent. The throw out bearing is fine. Smooth and no notchy feeling there.

So now my question. I know its not preferred to put an aftermarket aluminum pack like a barnett in there without replacing the basket because the teeth on the plates will wear prematurely. But how prematurely are we talkin about here? I drive maybe 100 miles a month, and I'm not that aggressive with it yet. Will it be okay for 6 months so I can save some money to get the basket and the rest of the blingy stuff? Or should I just clean the plates and flip them around? Is there anything bad that can happen if I let it go too long without changing them, like parts shearing apart and destroying my case?

uploadfromtaptalk1338231034895.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1338231104851.jpg

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have the same issue, I did buy a Barnett Clutch kit off fleabay. Fairly cheap as I recall. The rest of it I have started saving for. I get to ride while I save. Yes, they will wear quickly, as mine have been in for a month and are worn.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
If the replacement clutch pack has the same number of plates and installation order (they don't necessarily) as the pack you're replacing, then the notches will line up with the plates as before, so the concern is noise from the increased gap that increases the hammering of basket and plates. If the replacement pack is different, then the misalignment may cause disengagement problems and bent plate tabs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ear plugs are cheap, there is still a fair bit of life left in that clutch pack, that is if you don't mind the noise,might have to check the pack height to make sure that the pressure plate dose not top out, add a thicker metal if you have to.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I'm doing the math correctly, Shazaam+Cyclops= flip the plates and wait until I save to buy all of the correct parts at once. Thanks guys!

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Mine was much worse than that, just keep going, it will operate fine, but it will be noisy & get worse (louder) in time.
I am not a fan of the Barnett plates, I will opt for something else next time.

My replacement barnetts suffer the dreaded grabby, graunchy noise problem occaisionally.

Craig

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
If it ain't slipping it's still good :D

Clean them, flip the friction plates, check the pack height. If it is still in spec use them till they are done.

I got a Surflex pack with aluminum plates last time I changed. Happy with it. Once it broke in it was pretty smooth, better than the original OEM pack with steel plates (which would grind quite readily if you messed up the engagement in the least). I've got around 5k on it now and it's still spot on - and I run only 4 pressure plate springs. It is noisy though if that bothers you.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Aluminum frictions on a steel basket leads to excessive friction tab wear. Plus your basket is beat to death. When the basket is grooved as bad as yours the grooves tend to separate the frictions under load causing slipping and premature wear. You need to replace the basket and the frictions too, just be sure to match the material, steel basket=steel frictions and vs-verses.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think I'm going the clean & flip route. I hope the pack height is in spec. I don't have any extra plates to add.

Next winter break I'm going to put in a MOTO slipper. From what I've read those are the most reliable and easiest to deal with. I just wish they had gold instead of just red. I'm doing the black with gold annodized parts theme. I always liked the smokey & the bandit T/A.

Would a firebird on the side be too much?

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin!!!!

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

Attachments

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
wow, a trans am decal on the fairing of a duc is the last thing I ever thought I'd see! ;)

would it be too much??? Yesssssssssssssssssss! and I had a 78 smokey and bandit ta back in the day!

I think I'm going the clean & flip route. I hope the pack height is in spec. I don't have any extra plates to add.

Next winter break I'm going to put in a MOTO slipper. From what I've read those are the most reliable and easiest to deal with. I just wish they had gold instead of just red. I'm doing the black with gold annodized parts theme. I always liked the smokey & the bandit T/A.

Would a firebird on the side be too much?

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin!!!!

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

·
Registered
158 Posts
I really didn't like the loud clank clank clack under load and more so at the lights.. I do like the "tambourine" sound though so I did the old quiet clutch mod. Add an old friction plate or 2 and leave the thick steel plate out at the bottom of the basket. It locks the plates to the basket and my god I can hear more motor then clutch now. It's been 6k miles and so far so good. The only prob I had at the start was the outer most friction plate got worn down fast and needed to be replaced. Turned out the clutch pack was out a bit to far and my RCS lever setup was not pushing the pressure plate out enough to clear the pack.. No prob. One friction plate at the bottom then steel then follow normal clutch pack install till the pack was at the correct position then add a bit more lever throw and walla. All was good again. I checked on the pack last weekend and everything looks normal.

One draw back in your situation is the basket groves. I have read that sometimes the pack can stick to the groves more in this setup causing hard shifts thus you may be looking at a new basket anyways.

Hall of wisdom
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/73438-quieter-clutches.html

My basket as some minor groves and its not sticking but I opted to go this route.
Just waiting for the inner o-rings to get here so I can change it out correctly

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I did the plate flip and air grinder to smooth the basket high spots and it worked well for another 5000 miles. But by then it wasn't rattling, it was frickin hammering with the 1/8" gaps of the worn everything. Eventually I got a Barnett basket and a ST4 clutch pack. When I assembled it the plates were quite tight in the basket so a couple first gear accel and decels bedded it in nicely.

Now here's a funny story about noise from a worn clutch.
When the clutch was uber shot and hammering like mad, I was sitting at a stop light during a big Harley rally. A seemingly nice guy comes along on his bagger and shouts (to be heard over my clutch) hey there's something wrong with your engine you better shut it off.

I replied yeah, it's been low on oil for a few days. Think I'll check it. Light turns green and I motor off as he's shaking his head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts