Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang I looked in past threads and I can't find any\thing about clutch options... My 95 SS 900 is at 50k miles and I suspect will need a clutch soon.... it seems to make more noise than usual.. but I'm not sure I bought it used..??? I put on Z cool MLP billet (vented ) cover so I could hear thew music but it seems a bit much... compared to my friends ducatis..??? SO Here's my questions:
:think:

How long does a SS900 clutch last?
Is an older clutch noisier?
Which one? Ducati catalog has 3, steel, aluminum.. etc
Is the Barnett the one to get?
AND even though I like the noise..... is there one that is less noisy?

thanks for participating in this thread; I love this forum.

09 Ducati GT 1000 Ohlins F&R Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

I cut my teeth on a home built 750 Honda Cafe Racer with an 820 kit back in the seventies....When I saw my first Ducati one day, I fell in love….it was a 900 SS bevel… thirty years later, I have two now

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've just replaced the clutch in my 96 900SL. It has about 78000km on it, not sure if the previous owner had ever done the clutch. I put in a Nicholls aluminium basket and Barnett plates from ca-cycleworks. My clutch was so shagged when I pulled it down I also had to replace the hub, clutch pushrod and bearing. This is the first time I've ever had a new dry clutch - it's dead quiet, I miss my rattle!

Can't say how this combination will hold up but after two weeks all is good.

Rob.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think there's a fairly recent post suggesting a change to the clutch pack which starts with two friction plates, then alternates as usual (look for the thread - I think I have this right). It basically quiets the clutch during normal operation, but still rattles when the clutch is disengaged. Worked for me. TT

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think there's a fairly recent post suggesting a change to the clutch pack which starts with two friction plates
You mean steels, right?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the thread

Thanks TomT ..and all of you... I found the tread it's called;
"Quiet Dry clutch in neutral?"

I just ordered a Barnett basket and and clutch pack as I decided my pack was shot... 52,000 miles and all.... so now I've changed the rear wheel to a 5.5, Michilen Pilot Road 2ct 170 tire, new sprocket flange, bearings, ordered a 40 tooth rear and I'm excited to fix the whole drive line next week !!!:D:D:D:D

09 Ducati GT 1000 Ohlins F&R Termis Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

I cut my teeth on a home built 750 Honda Cafe Racer with an 820 kit back in the seventies....When I saw my first Ducati one day, I fell in love….it was a 900 SS bevel… thirty years later, I have two Ducatis....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a Barnett basket and and clutch pack as I decided my pack was shot... 52,000 miles and all.... so now I've changed the rear wheel to a 5.5, Michilen Pilot Road 2ct 170 tire, new sprocket flange, bearings, ordered a 41 tooth ( superspox) rear and I'm excited to fix the whole drive line next week !!
FYI I did the work above and it was perfect..
my stock clutch had like 3mm tang clearance!! i think it was OEM 52,000 miles!!! stack height was 35mm,,
new Barnett wast 43mm with about .75 mm tang clearance with the new style Barnett clutch and Barnett basket with stainless inserts..
my clutch is virtually silent now!!!! I highly recommend these clutch parts

This did the trick I went 41 t rear btw the difference between a 160/60 tire the taller 170/60 is one tooth so if you upgrade to a 170 from the 160 you need to add a tooth (rear) just to stay the same...
Thanks for the help my bike is now exactly right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts