Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak from the master cylinder on my '96 900SS. Can't seem to find any rebuild info on the master. Anybody have to do this? Replacement masters cost is way up there at about $350. Yuk:eek:

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
clutch master . . .

I was able to buy a used clutch master cylinder from Brian Pierson @ empmotors.biz for less than $75 including shipping. Check with Mark @ woundedduc.net for used Ducati parts, too.

Fred

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch master cylider rebuild

Cool looking mirrors. Never seen any like them. Still surprised you cant rebuild the cyclinders.

·
Registered
735 Posts
clutch master . . .

Glad you like my mirrors, Sluggo!
I made them using CatEye BM-300G bicycle mirrors, brass tube, custom machined brass bar-ends, and vacuum-formed styrene backs. They weigh almost nothing, and they are removeable & adjustable w/ a set screw. And, I can see what is behind me !

Fred

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clutch master cylider rebuild

Just got into a Ducati Shop Manual and it says replace master cylinder not to rebuild.......oh well thanks:mad:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just out of curiousity, has any repalced the coffin style MC with the cylinder type MC on their carbed Supersport?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just rebuilt mine about a month ago, using a stock rebuild kit that I bought from Ducati of Seattle. They are still available, and dirt cheap.

The only hard part was digging out the old retaining ring for the dust boot. It goes in like a circlip, but has no holes to grab with a pair of circlip pliers. I wound up digging it out with a dental pick and a small screwdriver.

When you take it apart, make darn sure you keep the whole o-ring, piston, cup, spring, etc. assembly in the order in which it comes out. Put it aside where you can leave it that way, or take a picture or two, or something - the "instructions" that come with the rebuild kist are anything but. If you mix up the pieces on the old one, you may never figure out how to install the new one without them as a guide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just rebuilt mine about a month ago, using a stock rebuild kit that I bought from Ducati of Seattle. They are still available, and dirt cheap.
Do you happen to know if they have post 1998 kits available?
About how much was yours?

Or do you happen to know if the kits are interchangeable with the addition of the old style reservoir?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do you happen to know if they have post 1998 kits available?
About how much was yours?

Or do you happen to know if the kits are interchangeable with the addition of the old style reservoir?
Mine was something like 20 bucks or so, give or take. Can't remember off hand...

I'm not sure what the differences are between the pre-'98 and 98-on. Mine is the original "coffin" style, with no remote reservior. I'm assuming your post '98 must have a remote reservior.

I would just give them a call tomorrow and see what they have. Great folks, and Sonny, the guy who usually mans the parts counter, is a 900 SS rider. He'll know what you need.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I'm about to rebuild my clutch master tonight. One question, should the slot in the piston be located just under the fluid feed hole in the rest position?

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My clutch master is leaking from the top 90 degree pipe o-ring. I assume that's the reason i kept finding brake fluid all over my freshly polished yokes and new paintwork, so i took it apart, and now i need a new one. Stein Dinse Germany sells the kit(pipe and beefy oring, for just 5 Euros, so i will go for it, before i contemplate repacing the whole cylinder. That is expensive...
Any tips on getting the oring and pipe in? It was a bitch to remove.

I believe with the system sealed, i will manage to remove the air and finally ride the bike. Two years into the build, and i'm sidetracked by a lousy o-ring...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, pics here. Easier to attach this way:)

" 'cause tramps like us,
Baby, we were born to run. "

·
Registered
71 Posts
I noticed the leak coming from the above o-ring, that connects the 90 degree pipe to the hose/reservoir.
Mine is a PSC 13 model, i think. Is there any rebuild kit available, for this model, because i do not believe it's meant to be repaired. It looks sealed.
I also found a cracked pin seal, but i guess that's not such a big deal, as long as i keep it clean.

·
Registered
71 Posts

" 'cause tramps like us,
Baby, we were born to run. "

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just out of curiousity, has any repalced the coffin style MC with the cylinder type MC on their carbed Supersport?
I went a step further and used Suoerbike Radial Masters (848/xx98). They fit no probs on my 93. Well I had aftermarket lines on my bike already and they were long enough to fit on Radial Master with the long banjo bolt. You can get a single line with a 90 degree fitting which is even better for clearance on the throttle cables.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts