Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has had a squeaky hydraulic clutch lever and if they found a cure?

I noticed my 2016 Multistrada S has a squeak that definitely comes from the lever area. I can even feel it in my hand while pulling and releasing the clutch lever. Of course, I've now disassembled, lubed, and reassembled the clutch pivot, and plunger pivot, but I'm still getting the squeak. Everything is and was well-greased, so I can't figure out what could be squeaking at this point. The lubing did not make a difference.

Is there some way that the master cylinder plunger can squeak? By the way, while I had this apart, I also flushed all the hydraulic circuits on the bike. This palpable squeak existed before and after all this service.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Glad everyone enjoyed my suggestion, so I suppose I have to offer an actual useful one.

If the master cylinder plunger is what is squeaking it will fail very very soon, so I don't think that's the source of the noise. BTW - can anyone else but you hear it?

Take the housing/clamp for the clutch lever off the handlebar/clip-on. Smear some anti-seize grease in the area of the clamp and on the inside of the clamp. Also grease the bolt threads for the clamp.

I'm guessing either the bar or the clamp is not perfectly round, so if the above made any improvement at all, then go back in and apply that rubberized paint stuff to the bar after degreasing it. Grease the clamp again.

It would be difficult to sand or grind it round but I suppose that is an option too.

The squeak you hear could be the clamp housing scraping across the handlebar. You probably can see some tiny scrape marks on the handlebar at the clamp, and maybe even small areas out of round or a casting burr on the clamp. When you have the clamp off, hold it up to a light while it's clamped together in your hands to see if it lines up perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts