Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sunday, a klm from home, returning from a long 550klm ride the clutch lever refused to budge. Could not depress it at all, it feels as if the clutch assembly is jammed. I ran run a red light as I didn't want to stall.
I can't investigate further for now as yesterday my prolapsed disc decided to do it's thing and cripple me. From past experience this could be the situation for days or weeks.
However I managed to get up off the floor and take the att. photo. See how the plates are jutting out. What would be the likely culprit?

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
That certainly isn't right, the outer plate dogs should be inside the clutch housing, my bet is that something collapsed inside the clutch (a plate?)
If the master cylinder or slave cylinder had jammed open then you would not have been able to ride it home it would have been like the clutch lever was fully pulled in and you would have no drive.
So looks like you better pull that clutch apart, let us know what you find.
Noel

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Maybe the bleed off hole in the master isn’t being uncovered and won’t let the pressure release? Usually happens when someone changes the clutch lever and doesn’t adjust the screw to bleed pressure. Also might be a plugged line not allowing pressure to release. Unbolt the slave and see if the plates go back in. If they don’t, then take the pressure plate off and see if the rod is stuck or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I think, if the master or slave don't release the clutch is held ,'on' and you have no drive.

In this case he was able to still ride the bike with no way of disengaging the clutch

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sunday, a klm from home, returning from a long 550klm ride the clutch lever refused to budge. Could not depress it at all, it feels as if the clutch assembly is jammed.
This sounds like the hydraulic lock problem that was solved by the 2001 clutch slave cylinder recall.

Of course, if you listed your bike info in your profile it would help.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
No, I think, if the master or slave don't release the clutch is held ,'on' and you have no drive.

In this case he was able to still ride the bike with no way of disengaging the clutch
yeah - it would be ugly but it would engage enough to get home but not disengage at stop because the clutch rod is already at full extension.

This wasn't right before this sudden crisis, look at the wear on the clutch cage tangs on the outside edge - its been banged it like the town hole for a while. Too many discs? whats the stack measure? What did he mean by the clutch lever won't move?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Large clutch nut on right side backed off and when the stack got too far for the slave to push it is at it's maximum travel and is solid. you are trying to over travel.

take the clutch apart and fix the hub/nut stack and you should be fine.
that's what i was thinking, but with a carby ss original slave the piston will just come out of the body. unless it has an aftermarket or later model slave. wacky.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
... refering to the image the OP posted, do the clutch springs always look so ~compressed~ on these 1990s 900 engines in their default position? Assuming it's a 900 of course.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tnx fellas, btw 900SS.
re the compressed springs (well spotted btw), it may be the nut has backed off. Hoping to be able to look further tomorrow, atm can't sit, stand, or bend.

"look at the wear on the clutch cage tangs on the outside edge - its been banged it like the town hole for a while. " Yep, it's well worn, will replace one day soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My disc has settled somewhat so was able pull the basket out. Problem solved, Ducvet was right. The hub nut had loosened, thus pushing the basket outwards.
The pressure plate has worn though in a few small areas but the entire assembly will be replaced as soon as funds are available (bloody wife keeps on insisting that we have three meals a day, electricity, and decent clothes; her priorities are strange indeed).

I would not have posted if I had of been able bodied at the time, but was going crazy not knowing and not being physically able to do anything, so thank you all for the replies.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You have found the gremlin, 80 Percent of the battle on these old girls.

*feel like I should add to my signature, "If your belts are this old - replace them before they break"

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
The pressure plate has worn though in a few small areas
If you are talking about small openings in the spring pockets that do look defective these are normal. post up pictures of the damage and we can let you know if they are truly damaged, unless you simply want a new pressure plate. aftermarkets do not usually look like this but ALL oem do.

Glad you found it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are talking about small openings in the spring pockets that do look defective these are normal. ... unless you simply want a new pressure plate....
I have never noticed them before, so yeah they are what you said are normal. But I do want a new pressure plate, and hub, and basket, and springs LOL.

Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts