Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm looking for a replacement clutch lever for my '82 900ss rebuild, which is moving along nicely, and I've just made a post in the classifieds. I've also been emailing around and searching without any luck.

What I have found is this one:
https://www.eurobrit.com.au/store/Ducati+Bevel+Pegs+and+Levers/Ducati+SS-SD+Clutch+Lever

It's very similar to mine, but you can see how it has a squared off bit on the right there where mine is more rounded. Does anyone know if this is a possible replacement... maybe with some filing?

I've overlaid mine on the fuzzy image there and it really does look identical other than that edge, and I think there is also a small hole in the topside where the end of the cable sits.

Regards
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hi Rob,

Glad that the rebuild is coming along well.

I think that there are several different copies of the original lever around and do you know if yours IS the original? Unless you can look at a genuine one it is difficult to tell. I'm assuming that you've tried Ian Gowanloch? The one from Eurobrit seems a hell of a price!

Colin

·
Registered
439 Posts
I guess it might be possible to make it work; but be careful, Rob. I know you can't tell everything from photos, but for one thing, I reckon the spindle holes are different sizes ...* See the attachment.

STOP

Your lever should be part # 0797 54 748, yes? In which case it should look like this (unless Colin tells me I'm wrong ... :confused:)

And your's don't. So like wot Colin says: you sure you're asking/looking for what you actually need?

Ciao

Craig

* And that's one hell of a price that EuroBrit want :surprise:. And it were never OEM on a Dramah, neither. But I guess that's neither here nor there ... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Another can of worms.... I think all 900SS levers were black (but I'm probably wrong) the only silver ones that I've seen were on GTS and Darmah models. The one from Rob's bike is obviously bent out of shape and the one that Craig posted a picture of looks correct, but without some careful checking I'm on the fence! Have a look at the Mdina Italia site, the correct lever is pictured with the part number (although it is out of stock).

Ian Gowanloch!

Colin

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments everyone!

I've checked everything again to be sure. I'm 99.9% certain the lever I have is correct and it matches these ones:

Back To Classics | Parts | 079754748
Back To Classics | Parts | 079754733
www.mdinaitalia.co.uk - ClutchleversupportSL900SS

Which makes it part 079754748 but not the same shape as in Craig's post. I've attached images of the full assembly.

And yes, the handle on mine is bent out of shape. It is normally just like the ones on those links. The one in that auction looks too different around the cable hole, but the one on Eurobrit seems identical apart from that squared off piece by the hole. I've overlaid mine onto it in one of the images below. Derek from Eurobrit got back to me and said I could return it if I wanted to try and it didn't fit. It's definitely a bit pricey, and I'd prefer the exact item.

Steve at BH has the one with the tape measure on offer, which he says can fit, but will have different angles where it touches. It might do in an emergency but I really need to the real thing at this point.

A couple of the other online stores don't recognise it either. I'll just have learn to accept that I have an extremely rare and valuable bike heheh :D

The silly thing is that this was one of the first parts I managed to source off eBay but the courier lost it somewhere in Australia, along with a foot peg that I also needed. I've had to buy two new replacement foot pegs at a much higher price, but I guess at least they'll match.

Just FYI, I've got all the body work over with Tony O'Connor in OZ at the moment. He's redoing not just the damaged solo seat, which was originally his work, but also the entire paintwork and decals. I decided to have it all done in the original '82 style, and with the solo seat back also given a matching look. I sanded my arms off on the fenders and found a correct NOS items to replace the cracked left panel. I had chap do a good job plastic welding some cracks in the rear fender, and the front one actually turned out to be some sort of fibre/resin casting and not ABS at all. I'm finding my little accident has given me the opportunity and motivation to go all the way and fix up things I wouldn't otherwise have touched. So apart from the cost, I'm quite pleased with progress. I'll be putting up snaps and vids of happenings at some point.

Just need to get this lever!
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch lever - Black - SQ - 0797.54.748

Hi Kev

That's definitely the number that is given on this page, which shows the exact lever I'm after:
Back To Classics | Parts | 079754748

However I won't be surprised to find other levers with the same number as there is some confusion surrounding it. But yeah, that's the one.

Have you spotted this somewhere?
Regards
Rob

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Rob,

Right, that now seems clear! Sorry if the photo that I posted confused things for a while there :surprise:! It came off Jonesie's site (Mdina ...). Have to tell him he's showing the wrong thing, silly boy ... :wink2:

Hopefully Kev can sort you out, even if only temporarily. Personally I would put off trying to lash something up for as long as poss.

Ciao

Craig

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rob,

Personally I would put off trying to lash something up for as long as poss.

Craig

Yes, the way I'm fixing this bike up, it really has to be correct and perfect, even if I have to refinish it.

I think if I finished everything else and still didn't get a lever and really needed to go for a ride, I could always put the broken one on again.

Rob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got one, but only one...so I'll need to hang onto that one, Robax. sorry.

Kev

Thanks for checking Kev. Put me on your will and I'll wait it out :)

One just like the EuroBrit item came through from Andy at desmo.net today, but it's very glossy powder coated so I'd need to refinish it. It might do if I can't get the right one. I can't see anything being completed before Christmas at this rate so there's a little more time before I get desperate.

Regards
Rob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done! Got the complete clutch lever assembly, plus the correct Verlicchi clips-ons, plus the correct Verlicchi grips for the 82 bike, all NOS and looking like they'll be perfect with a clean.

This also means I can put the replica clip-ons I got off Gowanloch up on eBay. Those were good, but this is better.

Thanks for comments everyone.. it helps as always!
Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts