Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so my bike got knocked over which bent my OEM clutch lever. good time to upgrade to pazzo shorties! they came in the mail today and i hurried downstairs to get them installed. brake side no problems, bang together and ready to go.

clutch side: different story
the OEM clutch lever actuator has a set screw in there that you need to remove to get the bits out to install into the new lever. That set screw is locktited and torqued into that hole so damn tight it isnt moving! its only 1.5mm hex and i stripped both of my hex keys on it. took it into ducati seattle, they threw some heat on it and tried wrenching on it and now the set screw is stripped. i dont blame them, they were doing me a favor and i couldnt be certain whether or not it was me that stripped it out in the first place. Sonny in parts informs me that the barrel and actuator assembly is not sold separately and the only way to get a replacement is to buy a new OEM lever at $119usd approximately. not what i wanted to hear. he did know of a guy that drilled it out and re tapped it for the next size up, im gonna try that tomorrow.

anyone else have this issue? they shop guys acted/spoke like this is a common thing. anyone have a slick solution to this?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Drill and re-tap with a slightly larger size set screw. There is plenty of room to go slightly larger and there is no magic reason you need to use that particular diameter set screw.

If you haven't done this before, don't worry. Its just metal and doing it will make you feel like a man.

Use plenty of oil/wd40/whatever lubricant when you drill. Clean it out real good after you drill and re-lube when you tap it.

Note that you'll probably have to bleed out the clutch a little bit--air will get in there while you have the little bitty pin out of the lever assembly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Been there! Why are all the bolts on our bikes make of cheese!!!!? It seems like everything you touch either strips, bends or rusts away!

I got lucky and my service mechanic got mine out eventually after the head stripped, although it took a couple of hours of patience and plenty of experience! Still less expensive than a new OEM lever. My advice to anyone installing new levers is to buy them from your dealer/service agent and get them installed as part of a service as it won't cost much if any extra in labour.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Had the same exact issue, and the folks at Munroe Motors were kind enough to install the pazzo as part of my first service...I did have to ride around a few months with mixed levers as I waited until the first service to get it done. Tried heat and everything short of re-tapping. PIA.

And Ducati should be ashamed not to sell the screw set separate and Pazzo should be ashamed as well for not making the two simple parts to be included...

rant off.

Take care
Geo

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Drill, baby, drill

Really. Take the lever off, put it in a vise and bust out the drill. It will be so easy you'll wonder why you haven't been fixing problems like this for years. If you don't have a vise and a drill, odds are 100% that one of your buddies has one. Go buy:

* two cobalt tipped drill bits roughly the diameter of the set screw
* a can of WD40
* a new tiny screw (you pick the pitch and diameter)
* a tap for your new screw

It will take less time to drill it out and re tap it than it did for you to type your original post. If you live anywhere in northern california you can come to my house and I'll do it for you before you can finish your beer.

Can anyone help this guy out?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sucess! well sorta. i couldnt easyout the set screw, so i ended up drilling it out and re-tapping it. and i am right there with you, barfer! I AM A MAN!! drilling metal oh yeah!
:) anyway, i was a bit concerned to start and ended up buying too many bits and taps and screws for the job (i was uncertain of what was in there and what size i would need to get it out retap etc etc) but in the end it all worked and despite the $40 in bits etc, (of which i will return about $30) i saved over $90 AND gained a few new hairs on the chest!

thanks guys!

oh btw, for you guys here in seattle: Stoneway Hardware in wallingford/fremont area for all your needs in this department. with one caveat: i bought a 1/4" long set screw, i actually needed a 3/16", i bought that from Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Nice work!

Isn't that satisfying? You beat those dirty engineers who put those crappy parts in our bikes. Hear me roar, baby!

I know its silly, but it is so much fun, isn't it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same problem

Funny, I had this exact same problem this weekend.

I tried everything to get the screw to even begin to move, liberal amounts of WD40, good blast of heat, pliers, screwdrivers... etc, nothing except a stripped head and blistered hands!

"Swear, swear, shout, grumble, grumble, grrrrr....."

My girlfriends makes a swift exit and removes the offending part from my now very sweaty hands ad takes it back down the garage. 10 mins later come back with a pair of mole grips and a smile on her face.... Damn woman only went and got it out! Not only that but managed to fit it perfectly into the new pazzo screw it in etc and have it good as new!!!

After much deliberation I can only come to one conclusion.... “I must have loosened it!"

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...10mins later come back with a pair of mole grips and a smile on her face.... Damn woman only went and got it out!...

keep that girl! she's a rare work of art :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
keep that girl! she's a rare work of art :p
Definitely! She rides the 675 harder than I do!
You know you've found the right one when she feels at home with a pair of mole grips and a can of WD! I can't resist the oily fingers and smell of WD on a hot girl Is that wrong!?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Definitely! She rides the 675 harder than I do!
You know you've found the right one when she feels at home with a pair of mole grips and a can of WD! I can't resist the oily fingers and smell of WD on a hot girl Is that wrong!?
You are truly blessed. Enjoy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
crap! that's me!

he did know of a guy that drilled it out and re tapped it for the next size up, im gonna try that tomorrow.
I think I was the guy you spoke to in the garage... glad that worked out! If my father and our friend weren't scrambling to get a ride in I would have loaned you the kit with the drill, tap, and set screws I had in my shop in Fremont! Sorry.... let me know next time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I was the guy you spoke to in the garage... glad that worked out! If my father and our friend weren't scrambling to get a ride in I would have loaned you the kit with the drill, tap, and set screws I had in my shop in Fremont! Sorry.... let me know next time.

hah no worries, thanks for the tip off, it worked out flawlessly!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts