Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2nd duc, and it is having clutch issues. its grabby and impossible to find neutral once stopped, and the lever has generally poor feel. I've been swapping clutch parts off of my monster, and have had the following observations:

Swapped out-of-spec aftermarket clutch plates out for near-out of spec original ducati plates. It is now possible to find neutral, but still slightly elusive. On hard take-offs, with the OEM plates, there is this awful growling noise until the clutch locks up. When the OEM plates were in the monster, this didn't happen.

Evoluzione clutch slave is weeping, fluid turns dark within 60 miles of street riding. there are some marks in the bore, and the seals are likely shot. I swapped it with a yoyodyne, and the lever feel got better, i could get smoother engagements. Finding neutral is easy now, but the growling still bugs me. I will likely send it to yoyodyne for a good-will discount.

Any idea why the growling appeared when i moved the OEM clutch pack? I figured pulling it out and cleaning all the plates with brake cleaner is worth a shot. I was careful not to mix up the order and direction when i moved them.

And to bring up the perennial debate, what clutch pack should i replace the worn out one with? I'm in the market for two, and want to get my money's worth. I've scoured the forums, and it sounds like people who have used both barnett and surflex prefer surflex based on tolerances, and general lack of issues.

Options i've found:

Ducati OEM pack - $250 @ munroe motors SF
Barnett "red" - $160 @ desmotimes
Surflex organic - $210 @ desmotimes ($270 @ motowheels)
Surflex sintered - $350 @ motowheels
Dr. Desmo quiet clutch kit - $325

I tried the Barnett red plates on an older ducati, and they worked fine, but i wasn't particularly impressed. I'm currently having issues with the OEM pack after i moved it, but it probably just needs to be cleaned. I'm leaning toward the Surflex organic plates or the OEM kit. Has anyone tried both? It seems like people have the following clutch replacement scenarios:

1) always replace with OEM, no issues, never tried anything else
2) replace with barnett as the cheapest fix, sometimes issues for tang clearance and position, total stack height
3) replace with surflex right away, or surflex after swearing off barnett, "worth the extra $50"

Has anyone has tried the Surflex sintered plates or Dr. Desmo kit? The blanchard ground drive plates in the Dr. Desmo kit are interesting, it seems like the best way to make a clutch from an engineering perspective.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the 'barking' noise that you are talking out. The noise happens right as the clutch finally locks up. It probably feels super grabby. Like the clutch is either in or out... Very hard to float/slip the clutch to get it going.

My Solution.
I purchased the Surflex clutch kit at the recommendation of my not so local stealership. I have a factory slipper in my 749R, so consequently they sold me a clutch pack for a non-slipper. Nothing but problems..... (The spring plate/ring kept slipping under the center hub when the 'slipper' part activated causing the to expand and stay expanded. I.E. Bike no go any longer) So I took it all apart and went to another not so local stealership to purchased a factory spring plate. Then I replaced the stupid little one surflex spring plate with the factory one. Put the pack back in the bike after changing the plate order a little. Problem solved!

If you have a non-slipper clutch then the surflex one will probably not present you with any issues.

Best of luck.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
I use Surflex sintered in the slipper in my 999R, regular Surflex in the slippers in my SS and ST2.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom -

Any appreciable difference between the standard and sintered surflex plates? advantages or disadvantages? feel or bite differences? Since I originally posted, Desmotimes is OOO with a military commitment, and Motowheels out out of stock with the standard surflex plates, and the sintered plates are discounted to $300. now its looking like the ducati OEM plates or the sintered surflex plates.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Sintered plates are heavier, but can transmit more power. Probably a good idea for my 999R, but overkill for my SS and ST2. Seem to have a nicer feel, but cost a bit more.

Tom

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Recently installed a Barnett clutch pack and a Paulimoto basket. An unexpected great fit between the two., very tight. I even had to file down some of the tangs on the clutch disks to fit the basket. Bought the pack from Desmo times and the basket from ProItalia ($199). I also bought a titanium clutch spring kit from TPO. It consists of steel springs, aluminum caps and titanium bolts. The spring kit really improved feel over the SpeedyMoto ones. I am using the OEM slave, just bled w/ new fliud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts