Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I removed the entire clutch stack today but there was no rust. I reinstalled it and then tried bleeding from the banjo bolt. I got a tiny bit of lever but not much. With the bone running, I pulled in the clutch and the pressure plate compressed the springs ever so slightly. It occurred to me that it looks like the pushrod needs to sit back (towards slave cylinder). It’s as if it is protruding to fat in the pressure plate. So I get this genius idea that maybe I’m supposed to use that little extension that comes with the Oberon. WRONG. And once you put that in the clutch slave, it won’t come out (even though their paperwork says to rap it in a piece of wood. That didn’t work).

Anyway, I started to wonder if maybe when I put the throw out bearing in the pressure plate, did I seat it too deep. It doesn’t seem like that should be possible because the little black slotted cover that goes over the bearing would be loose if I didn’t sink the bearing into the pressure plate all the way.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Here’s the control pin in the throwout bearing. I’m assuming this only gets installed one way and you press it in all the way.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
can't mess that bit up.

i had a streetfighter in years ago that the owner asked me to replace the slave on i think - he supplied it. turned into an absolute clustercuss. really didn't make any sense. i had the lever out to make sure the piston was fully returning, pushed fluid back, sucked through. don't recall how i got it going in the end.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I made sure when I put on the slave cylinder that the anti-rotation pin was lined up correctly. Didn’t know that’s what it was called. Thanks for the education. :)

Is it possible my master cylinder needs to be bled?

·
Registered
469 Posts
All of this troubleshooting and you did not bleed the clutch master cylinder?

I made sure when I put on the slave cylinder that the anti-rotation pin was lined up correctly. Didn’t know that’s what it was called. Thanks for the education. :)

Is it possible my master cylinder needs to be bled?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Oh man. Was I supposed to do that first? I was just following the Oberon instructions and it didn’t mention that. Do I put everything back together and start there?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes reassemble everything.

When bleeding the clutch circuit you want to bleed both the master and the slave.

I bleed the master, then the slave, and then the master again. Make sure the fluid in the reservoir does not drop below the min level at any time.

Oh man. Was I supposed to do that first? I was just following the Oberon instructions and it didn’t mention that. Do I put everything back together and start there?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That was it! I did exactly what you said. Put everything back together, bled the master cylinder, then bled the slave cylinder and then re-bled the master cylinder again. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
And I was able to get the extension rod out of the Oberon slave cylinder. I read another member’s post about disassembling it to do that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Happy to hear that!
Be sure to refer to my previous post regarding checking for clutch drag. This will ensure that you dialed everything in correctly without issue.

That was it! I did exactly what you said. Put everything back together, bled the master cylinder, then bled the slave cylinder and then re-bled the master cylinder again. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I started the bike in gear, with clutch in (and rear wheel in pit bull stand). I let clutch outta start spinning wheel then pulled it in and the rear wheel stopped spinning pretty quickly.

Thanks so much for all the help!

I also foxed the missing exhaust hanger bolt. Now it’s time to replace the handlebar. ;)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts