Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 999R Xerox. Just replaced the clutch pack in a STM slipper clutch which specs requires a 36.5 mm stack height. My stack is at 36.5.

I have bleed the slave and the master cylinder.

If I take the pressure plate off and press the clutch lever a couple of times the clutch becomes rock hard. In other words the slave cylinder has expanded to the outside of the engine case and can not go any further. It does not go back in because the pressure plate is off. Should this take several pumps to achieve or just one?

Not with the bike in 1st gear and running on a rear stand. When I press the clutch the rear wheel slows down but not to a complete stop.

If I remove the thin plate (1.5 mm) then repeat the bike disengages completely. Makes sense because now the plates have an additional 1.5 mm to rotate freely.

So it seems that there is something wrong with the slave cylinder. It is a stm and only has about 2K miles on it.

Also with the clutch engaged and the pressure plate installed, I see the push rod move but I do not actually see the cylinder extend outside of the slave housing. Should it?

I should also state that with everything installed when I pull the clutch in it feels correct as far as the amount of force that it takes to pull the lever. In other words it does not feel like air is in the lines.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'm not shure of your issue.without the pressure plate on the slave will be rock hard.on the stand the wheel will slowly rotate while the bikes running in gear.can you get neutral while the bikes running at a stop?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I noticed something similar when I was trying to install my clutch pack. For me, I had to remove the pressure plate/push rod, remove the slave cylinder, re-install the pressure plate/push-rod, then install the slave cylinder. Basically installing the push-rod while the slave cylinder is off the engine casing.

YMMV

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not shure of your issue.without the pressure plate on the slave will be rock hard.on the stand the wheel will slowly rotate while the bikes running in gear.can you get neutral while the bikes running at a stop?
So the rock hard part was with the engine not running and the pressure plate off (sorry for the confusion there). This was a test to see how many times I had to press the clutch lever to fully extend the slave cylinder. I think it took 2-3 (definitely 4 or less) pulls of the lever to achieve this. So the question is how many pulls should it take to achieve that.

I can get it into neutral and with the engine off and the clutch lever pulled in I can roll the bike around. The problem is that it seems the clutch is dragging with the lever pulled in. Hence when the bike is in gear, clutch pulled in, and on the rear stand, the rear wheel moves slowly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed something similar when I was trying to install my clutch pack. For me, I had to remove the pressure plate/push rod, remove the slave cylinder, re-install the pressure plate/push-rod, then install the slave cylinder. Basically installing the push-rod while the slave cylinder is off the engine casing.

YMMV
I attempted this but it did not help. I also do not understand why that would matter unless maybe you have a standard clutch (ie not a slipper). Which do you have?

Do you understand why that fixed your problem? If you could explain why it fixed it, it might give me an idea about mine.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just played with it some more. Again I think the issue is the push rod is not being pushed enough. I can rotate the pressure plate by hand and the rear wheel spins due to the pressure plate being turned with the clutch pulled completely in, the bike in first gear on a rear stand, and the engine off.

I feel that if the pressure plate were to be pushed a few more mms it would give it enough room to disengage completely and the rear wheel would then not spin.

Can anyone measure how much there pressure plate moves out when they press there clutch in? Mine does not seem to move very much.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I can rotate the pressure plate by hand and the rear wheel spins due to the pressure plate being turned with the clutch pulled completely in, the bike in first gear on a rear stand, and the engine off.
This is correct, as the pressure plate is at the output of the clutch (basket is the input, i.e. engine side).

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can make some test to find out if it's ok. Simply push the 1st gear , then push the clutch and with some asist check if you can stop the rear wheel with your foot. If you can than everything is ok

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is correct, as the pressure plate is at the output of the clutch (basket is the input, i.e. engine side).

Tom
Duh, Stupid me:crazy:! I agree. I was working on just a few hours of sleep and had just got up. I guess my brain was still asleep:sleep:. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can make some test to find out if it's ok. Simply push the 1st gear , then push the clutch and with some asist check if you can stop the rear wheel with your foot. If you can than everything is ok
I'll try that after work thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that it does not take very much force at all to stop the tire. I also put it
on it on weight and it did not move so i think it maybe ok. I am going to take it by the shop for a 3rd opinion. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts