Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding this morning to work... Stuck in Traffic... Held the clutch in, when all of a sudden i hear some kind of clunk noise and bike trying to stall.

Cars started moving so i started releasing the clutch when i felt that it's catching all the way close to the handle bar.

I pulled over and saw that one of the springs snapped off... along with the basket pipe that spring goes over... The others are bent... When i clutch in, the pressure plate kind of wobbles a little.

Anybody have any idea what in the blue hell happend and what all i need to replace now? Not sure i can get home like this... I mean it still rides, but it's grabbing fully depressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was riding this morning to work... Stuck in Traffic... Held the clutch in, when all of a sudden i hear some kind of clunk noise and bike trying to stall.

Cars started moving so i started releasing the clutch when i felt that it's catching all the way close to the handle bar.

I pulled over and saw that one of the springs snapped off... along with the basket pipe that spring goes over... The others are bent... When i clutch in, the pressure plate kind of wobbles a little.

Anybody have any idea what in the blue hell happend and what all i need to replace now? Not sure i can get home like this... I mean it still rides, but it's grabbing fully depressed.
Sounds like your pushrod bearing at the pressure plate on the end of the shaft may have seized.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
...I pulled over and saw that one of the springs snapped off... along with the basket pipe that spring goes over... The others are bent... When i clutch in, the pressure plate kind of wobbles a little...
It would appear, at least from the pics, that one of the retainer screws and the retainer itself backed out enough to make contact with the inside of the clutch cover, at which point it probably sheared that bolt off completely, which in turn bent the posts on the basket flange.

I would NOT attempt to ride it in this condition.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I foresee a new drum and pressure plate in your near future. Also a good time to look ar a new basket while your in there. Dont forget the o rings. I just changed out my cluth system and engine case. Not all that hard to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took everything apart and it looks like the Clutch hub broke off one of the little pipes where the springs screw into... pressure plate has little scratch on that same hole where the spring broke and the clutch cover is scratched up all the way inside...

I guess i have to get the clutch hub and the screws with springs... Also, what size allen wrench is that big ass nut? I looked in the service manual and it doesn't specify it for some reason.

Anybody have a stock clutch hub they don't need for 1098s? :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Not sure what size but you will need a clutch holder tool to take it off, as well as an impact gun or some big guns... Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got all that covered... just need that allen socket.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I believe it's 19 mm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another weird question... Any drawbacks in not having clutch cover at all?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! I've heard of people removing 2 of these... I'll wait... I just ordered the Hub and the springs... It'll be here next week. Hopefully, i can find the allen socket and get that nut off.

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Ha! I've heard of people removing 2 of these... I'll wait... I just ordered the Hub and the springs... It'll be here next week. Hopefully, i can find the allen socket and get that nut off.

Thanks Guys
Amazon has them for 5 bucks.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Ride with 4 until you get it fixed. You actually might want to continue riding with 4, once you feel how light the clutch pull is :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think I see what has happened...

I machined holes in my clutch cover, fitting a new set of stainless springs & posh alloy spring caps, stainless bolts. :D

All good! dakkadakkadakkadakka! ;)

- until I noticed the tops of the caps were getting scuffed by the clutch cover??!! I removed the cover & went to tighten the bolts, thinking they had come loose? All were tight.

This remained an enigma for a few weeks until I found there is supposed to be a gasket inbetween the clutch cover & engine case, a rubber gasket with little brass spacers, meaning more clearance, meaning your caps dont get all scuffed up... :rolleyes:

Your cover is missing this gasket, meaning if one of your bolts cam loose it would quickly get beat about by the cover, eventually breaking the threaded tower off??

You wouldnt hear anything unusual above the RaTtLeClAtTER of your clutch... ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ride with 4 until you get it fixed. You actually might want to continue riding with 4, once you feel how light the clutch pull is :)
+1 on this, my tuned SS has had just four springs for over a year with no probs, even with a pillion? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I see what has happened...

I machined holes in my clutch cover, fitting a new set of stainless springs & posh alloy spring caps, stainless bolts. :D

All good! dakkadakkadakkadakka! ;)

- until I noticed the tops of the caps were getting scuffed by the clutch cover??!! I removed the cover & went to tighten the bolts, thinking they had come loose? All were tight.

This remained an enigma for a few weeks until I found there is supposed to be a gasket inbetween the clutch cover & engine case, a rubber gasket with little brass spacers, meaning more clearance, meaning your caps dont get all scuffed up... :rolleyes:

Your cover is missing this gasket, meaning if one of your bolts cam loose it would quickly get beat about by the cover, eventually breaking the threaded tower off??

You wouldnt hear anything unusual above the RaTtLeClAtTER of your clutch... ;)
HA! I actually came to the same conclusion after i saw the cover... I took the gasket off because i didn't see the point of having it... It'll go back on once i put everything together.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
To the OP. Just so you know I'm using the same Speedymoto 10 spoke clutch cover on my SFS. Unless that's a cheap Ebay knock off in the pictures you posted. I also have a Paulimoto racing spider retainer with stainless EVR springs and stainless allen bolts. I also wondered about using the gasket. I personally spoke with Speedymoto and they said they don't recommend using the gasket with that cover or any of their clutch covers. As alway you should check for clearance issues with any new clutch cover. I don't have any clearance problems without the gasket. I don't think your clutch failed because you weren't using the gasket. It would of failed before you left your driveway if you needed the gasket. If there where clearance problems the clutch would of destroyed itself when you first started the bike after installing the parts.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
To the OP. Just so you know I'm using the same Speedymoto 10 spoke clutch cover on my SFS. Unless that's a cheap Ebay knock off in the pictures you posted. I also have a Paulimoto racing spider retainer with stainless EVR springs and stainless allen bolts. I also wondered about using the gasket. I personally spoke with Speedymoto and they said they don't recommend using the gasket with that cover or any of their clutch covers. As alway you should check for clearance issues with any new clutch cover. I don't have any clearance problems without the gasket. I don't think your clutch failed because you weren't using the gasket. It would of failed before you left your driveway if you needed the gasket. If there where clearance problems the clutch would of destroyed itself when you first started the bike after installing the parts.
Plus 1... they told me the same thing. The only difference that having the gasket on there would have made is that once the retaining screw started backing out, it would have had about 5mm more distance to travel before it hit the inside of the clutch cover. I am still of the opinion that this is the only sequence of events which could have led to the failure you experienced. Do you know if there was any loctite on the retaining screws?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts