Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a '14 HM with 1,375 miles on it. Everything seems perfect except one thing. Especially when the bike is cold, the clutch is SUPER grabby. When I'm trying to start in first gear, I have the engine rev'd up a little bit, I start to pull out the clutch, I move forward an inch and BAM the bike lurches and dies. When I test rode it I killed it 3 or 4 times. I had to really rev the engine and crazy-slow let the clutch out to move in 1st gear.

I've driven a stick shift all my life, I have a few motorcycles, I've probably ridden on 15 different motorcycles. This is not me not knowing how to use a clutch.

After the bike has really warmed up it is better. But I will still kill it sometimes. Honestly every stop makes me nervous.

Any ideas what is going on here?

·
Registered
946 Posts
the '14 has a cable clutch^

This is common with the 13 and 14 HM. In 2015 Ducati put in a 'judder spring' like most motorcycles have. Why they didn't put one in to begin with, we may never know.

You can buy the upgrade kit here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-...hoAAOSww1haqY9l&_nkw=hyperstrada+judder&rt=nc

edit: The first thing you can try is some new oil. I found that new oil really helped with that. I was running motul 7100 10w40 and it wasn't quite as bad. The clutch upgrade made it 10X better though (like a normal bike).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can buy the upgrade kit here
Bless you! Like I said, I know how to use a clutch, and I think this is almost unusable.

I've replaced clutch packs on dirt bikes a few times. But... Honestly I'm a little intimidated installing this on my Ducati I've had for... let me check... two days. I don't even have a service manual. Is this dead simple? Or just bite the bullet one-time and let the dealership do it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
946 Posts
You can buy the upgrade kit here
Bless you! Like I said, I know how to use a clutch, and I think this is almost unusable.

I've replaced clutch packs on dirt bikes a few times. But... Honestly I'm a little intimidated installing this on my Ducati I've had for... let me check... two days. I don't even have a service manual. Is this dead simple? Or just bite the bullet one-time and let the dealership do it? Thoughts?
There is a step by step diy over on the hyperstrada forum. ?

It's not too bad. The clutch is a bit weird, but doable. A number of guys have done the swap.i did it on mine and it was night and day.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Search here for more info on putting white lithium grease onto the discs. I know it sounds crazy but has worked wonderfully on mine and others. Simply take the pack apart, grease the discs, let sit for a while and wipe off excess. Reassemble.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
He's got a wet clutch. Lithium grease won't do any good.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just purchased a '14 HM with 1,375 miles on it. Everything seems perfect except one thing. Especially when the bike is cold, the clutch is SUPER grabby. When I'm trying to start in first gear, I have the engine rev'd up a little bit, I start to pull out the clutch, I move forward an inch and BAM the bike lurches and dies. When I test rode it I killed it 3 or 4 times. I had to really rev the engine and crazy-slow let the clutch out to move in 1st gear.

I've driven a stick shift all my life, I have a few motorcycles, I've probably ridden on 15 different motorcycles. This is not me not knowing how to use a clutch.

After the bike has really warmed up it is better. But I will still kill it sometimes. Honestly every stop makes me nervous.

Any ideas what is going on here?
Check your clutch cable adjustment - should be some play and neutral should be easy to find. The clutch can be grabby, but I think part of the problem here is technique. Don't rev the engine a lot and try to slip the clutch , You really can't just launch it.Try low revs, you'll feel it engaging, some more revs. A little practice and it should come together. That said - if I have to change the pack, I'll go with the upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clutch can be grabby, but I think part of the problem here is technique.
I don't think it is technique at all. Here is a quote from the Multistrada forum, in a thread where you can order the fix Ducati added in '15: The clutch on the 2013 and 2014 Hypermotard/Hyperstrada is infamously bad. The design of the clutch results in a minuscule engagement zone and inconsistent clutch engagement when launching at varying RPMs. The result is a clutch that is near impossible to launch smoothly. Interestingly, some users with 2013/2014 models have not noted this problem, so there appears to be some variation within model years.

Maybe you have a good one? The other key word is inconsistent. It super grabby almost every single time, and seems to vary with temp. But sometimes I do everything correct for the 'grabby' clutch, and it isn't grabby, so I start way too slow.

Anyway, I already ordered the fix. For $80 and two hours of my time I'll take a smooth consistent clutch. So far I love everything else on the bike.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't think it is technique at all. Here is a quote from the Multistrada forum, in a thread where you can order the fix Ducati added in '15: The clutch on the 2013 and 2014 Hypermotard/Hyperstrada is infamously bad. The design of the clutch results in a minuscule engagement zone and inconsistent clutch engagement when launching at varying RPMs. The result is a clutch that is near impossible to launch smoothly. Interestingly, some users with 2013/2014 models have not noted this problem, so there appears to be some variation within model years.

Maybe you have a good one? The other key word is inconsistent. It super grabby almost every single time, and seems to vary with temp. But sometimes I do everything correct for the 'grabby' clutch, and it isn't grabby, so I start way too slow.

Anyway, I already ordered the fix. For $80 and two hours of my time I'll take a smooth consistent clutch. So far I love everything else on the bike.
It's great you're getting the bike set up the way you like it. Maybe there's something wrong with your clutch as it is. I've been riding a stock 2013 for a few years now and some 30,000 miles and the only time it's caught me out is on wet rocky dirt riding. With electrics, I ride until the first salt is down. I will work the clutch at a standstill in the cold just to help release the plates prior to the first ride of the day.

I only mentioned technique, because revving the engine before releasing the clutch is just the way to get it to grab and stall. The way to go is gentle addition of revs until engagement and then let it rip. I think that was in my original post.

I also found that cable adjustment has to be done a specific way. I center the adjuster at the lever, adjust the secondary adjuster to get thing close to spec, and then fine tune at the lever. If neutral is easy to find, and there's a little play - you're good to go. If you do all adjustments at the lever , as the cable stretches, it will be grabby.

I only mention all this for other people interested in the bike. I'm no master rider, but I haven't found the clutch to be a big deal, and I don't think my bike is a "special" good one. But, when clutch plate replacement time comes, I will be putting in the new plates and judder spring combo - because why not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts