Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am thinking of replacing my 998 clutch inner hub with an aftermarket type. like this one: New Clutch Pressure Plate Hub For Ducati 1098 999 996 748 749 CNC Billet | eBay
As can be seen in the pictures, this type doesnt have the rubber cushions that are in the original part. Is the lack of cushioning going to be a problem? Once these rubber cushions are removed, the only shock absorbers in the driveline are the ones in the rear wheel hub.
What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Why this item exactly?
Why not this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302422371768 ?
I wouldn't run without the cush drive.
v2 made them a few years ago here in oz. o bought one to use in my 02 900ss wet clutch conversion so i wouldn't have rubber damper issues. i also found the clutch didn't judder as much. left it in there when i went back to a dry one with no problems. a ducati slipper doesn't have dampers and i don't see any issues with them either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
v2 made them a few years ago here in oz. o bought one to use in my 02 900ss wet clutch conversion so i wouldn't have rubber damper issues. i also found the clutch didn't judder as much. left it in there when i went back to a dry one with no problems. a ducati slipper doesn't have dampers and i don't see any issues with them either.
I just realised that I didn't look at the pic properly, oops sorry.

Can I ask you , with the hub being mounted directly on the spline ,, does that have any effect on the longevity of the plates (tangs) ie: increased of decreased hammer?
Extremely curious

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I doubt it. Rubbers are there to damper shock load from clutch pack to drive. As I said, slipper clutch doesn't use them and seem to cope ok. Why do you want to replace it?

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,159 Posts
Been using a Sureflex clutch for years with no damper rubbers, no problem.
You already have the cushdrives in the rear sprocket anyway.

Reactions: Nikk11 and xracer

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies. Keep 'em coming :)

Why do you want to replace it?
The sole reason i want to replace it is the 500-700g. of rotating mass it removes. (I know, i know; take a dump, go to the gym, etc etc. :crazy: )

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Really? You are shitting us aren't you! Do you know what the reduction ratio is from the primary drive to the clutch? (How fast they part spins relative to the crank). Do you know how small a radius that clutch inner is? All you will save is two thenths of fuck-all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? You are shit us aren't you! Do you know what the reduction ratio is from the primary drive to the clutch? (How fast they part spins relative to the crank). Do you know how small a radius that clutch inner is? All you will save is two thenths of fuck-all.
Please dont have a stroke :surprise:
If it makes you feel any better i lied: I want to replace it because i like shopping for shiny stuff and because i so enjoy the little conversations at the postoffice. Both reasons are hopefully more legitimate. :think:

BTW, i am well familiar with the concept of moment of inertia. :nerd:

Apart from picking on me for my reasons for replacing the part, please keep those experiences coming. And thanks all who have contributed so far :)

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Really? You are shit us aren't you! Do you know what the reduction ratio is from the primary drive to the clutch? (How fast they part spins relative to the crank). Do you know how small a radius that clutch inner is? All you will save is two thenths of fuck-all.
Wow . That's a bit over the top, isn't it. Save all that raw emotion for an oil thread.:x

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Please dont have a stroke :surprise:
If it makes you feel any better i lied: I want to replace it because i like shopping for shiny stuff and because i so enjoy the little conversations at the postoffice. Both reasons are hopefully more legitimate. :think:

BTW, i am well familiar with the concept of moment of inertia. :nerd:

Apart from picking on me for my reasons for replacing the part, please keep those experiences coming. And thanks all who have contributed so far :)
i wasn't picking on you. just a little shocked at the reason you wanted it. bling? love it. when done tastefully:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Bling ?
Ummm,,,seriously? Would you even be able to see it?
I guess it all depends on your pressure plate I suppose. Or how much you like telling people
"Now ,, take my word for it ,, under all THAT, there is a SHINY clutch hub" >:)>:)>:)

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,159 Posts
One of the reasons I prefer the lightweight Sureflex is the way it spins up faster under load, combined with alloy rear sprocket.
it's noticeable.
Want bling? keep the stock cover and paint it gold like the Panigale.. looks classy.
And.. if you use around 10 coats like I did the clutch is almost silent.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts