Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for another edition of, "Hey. What that noise?"

'13 MTS. I noticed recently that during easy takeoff from a stop, I'm hearing some clunking noises that are coming from seemingly the lower engine area. Vague, I know, but hard to tell when you're on the bike with a helmet on.

The clunking seems to stop once I pick up some speed and doesn't seem to occur (as far as I can hear) at any time other than low RPM takeoff.

I don't even know where to start, so any shots in the dark are welcome.

TIA

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lot of guessing going to go on in this thread!
Take your helmet off and have a listen.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lot of guessing going to go on in this thread!
Take your helmet off and have a listen.
😁
I know my notes were pretty vague and I'm slow to respond. I just now got a chance to get it up on the centerstand.

Easy to reproduce, but hard to play around with in traffic and hard to dork with at low speeds without falling over.

No noise at start or idle, regardless if clutch is engaged or disengaged. On the centerstand I couldn't reproduce the issue, but... seems like @Sq51lacfd may have hit it with chain tension. I'm about to verify that once on the sidestand.

I never noticed when at a stop -no creep, but when on the centerstand and in first gear, clutch lever pulled in, the rear wheel spins at 5-6 mph according to the speedo. Is that 'normal'?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chain always jumps about when running on centre stand. I'd adjust it then take it for a run.
When I have had this, it was chain needed replacing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts