Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on which hub to get (used OE, new OE, aftermarket) and where?

Post broke on mine.......cut my track day real short.

·
Registered
263 Posts
used OE will be cheapest route... aftermarket will probably be lighter and pricey... depends how much you want to spend really...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Broke a post and wrecked your trackday? I would have removed the opposite spring and got back out there. I ride with -2 springs all the time.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Break off the opposing post to balance the hub setup, re-install and drive the bike as usual while you wait for your replacement goodies to arrive.

Gotham Cycles is a good place to go look for used pre-loved parts (one fo the site sponsors)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch post was just one of the items that took a beating. Thanks for the all the input. I did get some parts from Gotham Cycle. I did have track skins, so my OE plastics are in tact.

I'm still thinking of retiring the bike from track duty, so no need to get all fancy with the clutch basket and hub.

Now if I can find a keeper 916/996/998 bike, then I will turn the current one into a dedicated track bike. Price has to be right though. If not, I'm going to try and find a 748S or a RC51 for the track.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The standard clutch hub is alu. and not all that heavy.The clutch basket is but thats not your issue.After you replace the hub spring for one of the aftermarket pressure plates that have additional thickness around the clutch springs to protect the spring posts from the next crash.There are also heavier duty clutch covers that make the clutch almost crash proof.All those pretty carbon and spidery looking clutch covers are good for is keeping the toes of you boots from being scuffed by the spinning pressure plate.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the stock hubs have a cush drive in them, the after market ones are solid aluminum, which means harsher engagment. The newer stock baskets (999) are aluminum and can be had fairly cheap. Unless you are going to buy a complete clutch set up I would stick with stock hub and basket. BTW what kind of clutch cover were you using at the track? What ever it was, it didn't work well.:confused:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
The OEM cush drive is steel and very heavy. The OEM hub is not aluminum, but some sort of pot metal. In between the two are pieces of heavy solid rubber.

Tom

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The OEM cush drive is steel and very heavy. The OEM hub is not aluminum, but some sort of pot metal. In between the two are pieces of heavy solid rubber.

Tom
Wouldn't the heavy solid rubber be part of the cush drive? My point was too many people have problems when the mix and match parts. If it was my bike I'd run 4 springs as above before I did anything else. Oh, and a well made clutch cover.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to my local Ducati dealer and they have an OEM hub. It is made of aluminum and very light. The cush are solid rubber.

BTW, I use Cycle Cat Pressure Plate and Open Cover. I should have used the OEM cover as it would have protected the clutch innards. I'm a big believer of Cycle Cat and have always used them. I guess it's just hit a certain way. The risk of taking your bike to the track.

It was at turn 10B at Road Atlanta. I was following a control rider and lost the front. My being cheap bit my ass. I was about to get new track tires. The set on the bike had 6 track days on them.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I hate it when that happens.I have adopted the attitude that a set of tires is cheaper than any crash and the stock clutch cover looks pretty good with some reinforcing welded to it and a few vent holes.Who ogles the clutch on a race bike anyway?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
FWIW stock clutch covers are only marginally better than carbon fiber from what I hear. I run a Motowheels billet cover on my track bike and a Woodcraft on my street bike, both are semi open and seem very sturdy. Have not had to test either yet. Goodluck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. They are always welcome.

New tires would have cost me $300 mounted......now it's going to be about $700 for parts, repairs, time............and I still need to get some new rubbers.

F*****G SUCKS !!!!! BUT, I'm a track addict and can't wait to get back. Next session is July 23rd. I might be taking the Speed Triple. I need to get the suspension sorted out prior to.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
FWIW stock clutch covers are only marginally better than carbon fiber from what I hear.
+1.

I lowsided my SS with a CF cover at 50 MPH or so, broke three posts, limped home.

A friend lowsided a 999 with OEM cover at 5 MPH or so, broke three posts, limped to a dealer somewhere in Italy who took the hub off another bike they had (not sure if customer's or not).

I now have slippers with better spring protection on all my Ducatis, and a hefty SpeedyMoto Arun on my 999R just to be sure.

Tom

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
+1.

I lowsided my SS with a CF cover at 50 MPH or so, broke three posts, limped home.

A friend lowsided a 999 with OEM cover at 5 MPH or so, broke three posts, limped to a dealer somewhere in Italy who took the hub off another bike they had (not sure if customer's or not).

I now have slippers with better spring protection on all my Ducatis, and a hefty SpeedyMoto Arun on my 999R just to be sure.

Tom
I had an open CF cover and got sideswiped by a VW Beetle - broke my battery and 4 posts off the clutch hub (plus a couple of broken toes).

Amazing thing was that after 10mins 'discussion' at the roadside the bike started and got me home (about 6 miles) with just the lead plates of the battery hanging from the leads and only 2 clutch springs, but to be fair I didn't try accelerating hard to see if the clutch would slip...

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I just low sided going 80mph and slid for 30 feet or so on the right side of the bike. Funny thing is; the clutch cover didn't even have a scratch on it. I have frame sliders and ya know what? No matter what clutch or cover you have, you'll still break something without the sliders to keep the bike from touching the ground to begin with. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts