Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day I was fiddling with my clutch master, having a bedeviled of a time keeping it from pumping up so I pulled the cover and checked the clutch pack.

Sure enough it was installed wrong from the word go with steels and fibers back-assward.

So I pulled the pack and found something even more interesting - I have never seen this before and think this could be a whole new level of ******* engineering.......but I could also be wrong.

Here goes, working from the basket out to the pressure plate, ahem:

Steel
Fiber
Steel
Fiber
Steel
Fiber
Steel
Steel
Fiber
Steel
Fiber
Steel
Steel
Fiber
Pressure Plate

Pre-emptive WTF - - - - - - Obviously this arrangement goes completely against what my shop manual says......the exploded view picture anyway.

EDIT? OK thanks for the help guys - next question for you guru's: When I am ready to go back together anything in there anywhere need greasing?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,363 Posts
Other than the fiber at the pressure plate, I don't see a problem. The doubled up steel plates don't do anything except take up space. I'd just swap the steel and fiber next to the pressure plate. Done. Works, right? Typically, there's two steel at the PP.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than the fiber at the pressure plate, I don't see a problem. The doubled up steel plates don't do anything except take up space. I'd just swap the steel and fiber next to the pressure plate. Done. Works, right? Typically, there's two steel at the PP.
OK - Thanks - so ...this is normal......weird. But this is my first Italian bike and first bike with a dry clutch so that is new to me....Never seen two steels back to back....

OHH and it works really well which is another reason why I was head scratching....

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
318 Posts
Measure the total stack height of the plates, too. 38mm +/- 2mm is factory spec I think. You may need to add or remove steel plates to get it right. If its too high you may get a dragging clutch that doesn't disengage, too low and it will slip under throttle.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
there should be two steels back to back at the very back against the back of the hub. i assume it's for strength. then just alternated as they come out, steel next to pp.

what do you mean by "pumping up"?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there should be two steels back to back at the very back against the back of the hub. i assume it's for strength. then just alternated as they come out, steel next to pp.

what do you mean by "pumping up"?

Thanks. My shop manual / parts catalog shows 5 fibers and 4 steels which is why I am still scratching my........

Clutch was pumping up and eventually would keep stack in a released condition. Found the problem. Was gunk plugging up the plastic feeder pipe from the remote reservoir. It would let fluid drain into the master but not flow back when engaging lever. Real pucker factor pulling that plastic pipe out. I just knew Murphy was going to visit me....but he did not.....

As it sits right now the clutch is awesome.....works perfect. perfect feel / engagement / slip. Very easy to make very smooth rapid power upshifts.

Man I tell you I love this machine!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measure the total stack height of the plates, too. 38mm +/- 2mm is factory spec I think. You may need to add or remove steel plates to get it right. If its too high you may get a dragging clutch that doesn't disengage, too low and it will slip under throttle.
Thank you brother. :grin2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I edited first post but am also asking here:

Guru's: While I have clutch plates out - anything in there should be lubed up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts