Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
I fit the original banjo bolt but struggled to get clutch fluid to flow. I may not have been using the Mityvac correctly so its back to the garage to sort it out. If I can't do this job, I'm doomed.....
Best to think of this logically. DOT 4 as a fluid is heavier than air, so will want to flow to the lowest point in the system. Gravity and all that. Air will then want to rise through the fluid to the top.

Fill the reservoir, and crack open the banjo bolt or bleeder at the clutch slave. Make sure to wrap some shop rags around it so the fluid doesn't go every where. Soon enough, fluid will start to dribble out. Tighten it back up once it does.

You may have to slightly pull the clutch lever in to align the port on the piston to allow the fluid to move. Once it aligns though, fluid should freely flow to the slave.

You have now gravity bled the system. That does not mean all the air is out, but it does mean you have fluid at the slave cylinder. Just proceed on a normal bleed procedure once you've got fluid down to the slave.

The mighty vac is good for doing a bleed but you gotta get fluid down to the slave first. If there is a bleeder on the slave, hook the suction side of the Might Vac to that, and the outlet side hook up a hose and run it to the reservoir.

Once you do that, crack open the bleeder and pump the might vac. You should get clear fluid, without bubbles in a short time.

Again, you may have to slightly pull the clutch lever in to align the port on the piston to allow the fluid to flow. Make sure to keep the reservoir full while doing this. Hope that helps......sean

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finally got back to this and bled the clutch fluid line - probably wasted more fluid than the next time I do this (years from now...). As shown the Oberon fit well and the extension pin clearly was needed - as the slave cylinder works great. I did make one error discovered on a short ride - leaking from the reservoir - I had not replaced the rubber insert. Replaced and test rode again and no leaks. Which is good!

I did take the clutch cover off and it was dry as far as I could tell (see photo).

Follow up question... anybody know what the function of that rubber insert is? Why is it used?

Thanks for the comments and tips on to get me started and follow - Project #1 done.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
I did take the clutch cover off and it was dry as far as I could tell (see photo).
Taking off the clutch cover instruction was not to see if it was dry in there. It was to see if the bearing was still good. That, and to clean out the viton o-ring that resides in the "hat" where the push rod goes in at the bearing.

If that bearing is as old as the clutch slave (likely) it might be ready to pack it in also. If it seizes,....well....the push rod could end up twisted off. If you clean and lube the o-ring, you might buy yourself a little time before that happens in the event of a bearing seizure. Hopefully, you catch a failing bearing now, before you have to deal with all that.
Follow up question... anybody know what the function of that rubber insert is? Why is it used?

Thanks for the comments and tips on to get me started and follow - Project #1 done.
The rubber insert is there to "follow" the clutch fluid level down and prevent a larger airspace forming above the fluid. The fluid will return when you release the clutch lever and the returning fluid should push the insert bellows back up. When fluid gets low, the bellows don't return.

DOT 3 is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture out of the air. The insert keeps that airspace to a minimum to mitigate the amount of water the fluid can absorb. DOT 4 will do the same thing, only not as efficiently, and it will encapsulate the water it does absorb. As DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3, it makes sense to replace old DOT 3 with new DOT 4 when you do a fluid or component change. ....sean

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Iwannaduc - thanks for follow up and tips for course correction - I suspected I was underestimating what I had to do with the clutch cover off. I'll go back and re-assess. Also, after your explanation of the rubber insert, I see the function. Need to take it out and install correctly with full reservoir.

Project 1.1 starts.

·
Registered
944 Posts
No probs man. Just glad you have the chance to make those course corrections.....finding out the hard way kinda sucks......sean

21 - 25 of 25 Posts