Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 900 Sport that to me seems as though the throw of the clutch lever is too short. That is the clutch engages/disengages in the very first part of the travel of the lever. Is this normal or is it possible to do something to make the engagement more progressive over more of the travel of the lever?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Several things may cause this.

Bleed the clutch of air. Bleed so there is new fluid in the system and it is completely purged of air. Clutch lever should have a firm pull through its full travel.

Aftermarket slave. Often aftermarket slaves have an easier pull because of a larger diameter piston. Nice, but it translates into less motion at the pressure plate. If you have adjustable levers, you may need to adjust the lever to a larger reach position to gain some clutch lever travel.

Clutch stack height out of spec, too thick. Maybe someone replaced the clutch and did not pay attention the the serviceable stack height and it is too thick. This would likely also involve having a hard time finding neutral. Stack height should be 38MM +/- 2MM Closer to 38MM you are the happier you'll be.

Edit: Reading your post again I cannot tell if you feel the problem is it engages too close to the bar or too close to the end of the levers travel away from the bar (rest position). If the later, back to clutch stack. It may be too little, as in you have a worn clutch. If that is the case, replace the clutch. If there is still friction material left and you want to save some cash, add a steel that will get you back to 38MM.

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/clutch2.php

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the problem is that it engages too close to the end of the levers travel away from the bar(rest position). I've been told there's a screw on the lever which you can adjust that may help but i have not yet had a chance to look properly...

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Yes, the problem is that it engages too close to the end of the levers travel away from the bar(rest position). I've been told there's a screw on the lever which you can adjust that may help but i have not yet had a chance to look properly...
There is a screw but it IS NOT for user lever adjustment. Do a search for why. It has come up before, normally because someone adjusted it and are dealing with problems. Check the clutch stack height, I am pretty sure you'll find it out of spec on the thin side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts