Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that quite a few of you guys have already put open clutch covers on your bikes.
Anybody want to sell me their stock clutch cover?
Send me a pm with a price... (be nice, I don't want it that bad ;))

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I do know they are £280 new.....so your conversion is 1.6 to the quid at the mo

Equates to around $448....oops

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey flynn ... mine will be available soon.... you can have it for $100??? I was originally thinking of opening the recessed areas on it and putting some slots or other openings on the face. Is that what you want to do?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Give me a couple days to get it off the bike. When its off I'll pm you for your address. I am sure you will post pictures so it will be good to see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sure I'd take it for $100,
Yes, I'm going to take it to a machine shop and see how it looks opened up
Make sure you tell the machine shop it's magnesium, they may mistake it for aluminum otherwise, magnesium shavings are highly flamable and there are precautions they need to take because of this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone else want to sell ?

Hello Streetfighters, anyone else want to sell there clutch cover? I think it would look great on my Hyper with those slots cut out :)

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
if anybody's interested. I would sell mine for $100 too. If you want it.. tell me so I can order a new one and I will mail it when I get them exchanged on the bike.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
CND is $558 for the OEM. Just picked up the DP in black. Not sure yet about the pressure plate etc.

Now the clutch is going to be louder than the exhaust LOL.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Make sure you tell the machine shop it's magnesium, they may mistake it for aluminum otherwise, magnesium shavings are highly flamable and there are precautions they need to take because of this.
Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the same impression I was under until the mechanic at the dealership told me otherwise; it's anodised mag. color, but is aluminum.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have mine off the bike and can confirm it is aluminum (aluminium for the rest of the world!). It is not magnesium. So the same area around the headlight is most likely not magnesium either.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
DAMN!!!!!!!!!! You've completely ruined my weekend, I'll never look at my bike in the same way now!!! ;)

Chris

I have mine off the bike and can confirm it is aluminum (aluminium for the rest of the world!). It is not magnesium. So the same area around the headlight is most likely not magnesium either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's interesting to know, I was just going off what Ducati spec sheet says.

Details:
Surface features include enhanced detailing on the cam belt covers and the magnesium dry clutch cover as well as a new black finish for the main outer casings and carbon-grey finish for the crankcases, which employ the same weight-saving vacuum die-cast technology used in the 1198.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Clutch cover is in somebody elses clutches already.

Yes, very interested and pm'd you...
I say class action against ducati fo false advertisement. :D
isn't magnesium the same color as aluminum? I remember back in college I had some that I ganked from lab, and it was a silvery metal. I had always assumed they always painted or anodized magnesium to be that goldish color. I never really thought about it that much though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well I can tell you that the cover is not that light either...if it was magnesium it would be extremely light. I guess it is possible that my tech guy and I are wrong but the metal is as heavy as aluminium and silver color like aluminum.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well I can tell you that the cover is not that light either...if it was magnesium it would be extremely light. I guess it is possible that my tech guy and I are wrong but the metal is as heavy as aluminium and silver color like aluminum.
Does the inside of the cover have sound deadening material in it?

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Open Cover & Loose Pants?

I'm new to Ducati's :D so I've never rode with an open clutch cover. I usually ride wearing bluejean pants with Kevlar knee and seat protection. Won't the loose pants get pulled into the clutch if the cover is an open type?

Are the open covers only for riders who always wear tall boots and tight leather pants which are tucked into the boots?

While riding my magic carpet (Streetfighter) and put down my feet at a stop, I notice that my pants are resting on the clutch cover. How could an open cover be safe?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts