Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I got myself a FactoryPro Shift Kit from Motowheels and while I was replacing my clutch basket and plates I decided to go ahead and try to install the FactoryPro Shift Kit but was not able to remove the clutch cover from my 2006 Sport Classic 1000 mono (dry clutch).

I undid the screws around the cover, the plates were off, the basket was off, and so were the plates. I tried going at it with a rubber mallet around the case to try and loosen it but no joy. I ended up putting everything back together, but it's bugging the crap out of me that I wasn't able to do this.

IMG_0881.JPG

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
Been there a few weeks ago..

Hello all!

I got myself a FactoryPro Shift Kit from Motowheels and while I was replacing my clutch basket and plates I decided to go ahead and try to install the FactoryPro Shift Kit but was not able to remove the clutch cover from my 2006 Sport Classic 1000 mono (dry clutch).

I undid the screws around the cover, the plates were off, the basket was off, and so were the plates. I tried going at it with a rubber mallet around the case to try and loosen it but no joy. I ended up putting everything back together, but it's bugging the crap out of me that I wasn't able to do this.

View attachment 907714

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Been there done that a few weeks backs & hit the same wall you did..
Here is how I got it done.

- Purchased a 24oz. ball peen hammer
- Purchased a small, sharp chisel

Insert chisel between the cover and the engine case and tap with the persuader a few time do this at a few places around the cover and it will come loose..promise :)

The factory must have some pretty strong gasket maker! LOL
I also installed the Factory Pro shift kit :)

Best of luck
Pete

Reactions: mike_delphin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just remove the oil filler plug, take a large diameter screw driver approximately 10 mm in diameter put in dowm in the oil filler hole,so the flat end is on the oil pump and gently pull back breaking the seal. Don't go driving chisels between the faces as damage will occur.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,

Been there done that a few weeks backs & hit the same wall you did..
Here is how I got it done.

- Purchased a 24oz. ball peen hammer
- Purchased a small, sharp chisel

Insert chisel between the cover and the engine case and tap with the persuader a few time do this at a few places around the cover and it will come loose..promise :)

The factory must have some pretty strong gasket maker! LOL
I also installed the Factory Pro shift kit :)

Best of luck
Pete
Hey Pete!

Thank you so much for that! I'm kinda scared to use a chisel. Maybe a plastic one would do? Any specific chisel you would recommend?

Have you noticed any real difference in shifting with that kit yet? Is it really worth it lol? Did you take any pictures of the procedure by any chance?

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remove the oil filler plug, take a large diameter screw driver approximately 10 mm in diameter put in dowm in the oil filler hole,so the flat end is on the oil pump and gently pull back breaking the seal. Don't go driving chisels between the faces as damage will occur.
Hey Cyclops7,

Thank you so much for that tip! I gotta say putting such a thing down that hole and putting pressure makes me VERY uneasy. Would you happen to have a picture of where the flat part of the screwdriver should be? A video would be even better if it exists at all!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just put the flat of the screw driver up against the the oil pump housing and pull back, it will break the seal very easy. If your worried wrap a bit of tape around the end of the screwdriver.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m getting confused as some people are telling me it’s on the right hand side of the bike. Can someone please confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Are you sure you have all the bolts out ? You should be able to tap it from the side with a rubber mallet until the sealant gives way. There is nothing holding it in place in any direction once the bolts are removed.
If you’re not able to remove the cover why does your picture show no cover ?

So, does the shift kit work ? What does it do that the stock parts didn’t ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
So, does the shift kit work ? What does it do that the stock parts didn’t ?
I've been curious about this shift kit as well. I've heard that it could possibly help with the false neutrals that occasionally plague our bikes as well as other Ducati's....but have never heard first hand from anyone that has put one of these on if it does anything at all.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
what you are talking about removing is the primary drive cover. the clutch cover is the bit that covers the clutch. you pulled it off first.

i put the slide hammer into the front clutch cover screw thread and give it a couple of taps. comes off pretty easy. or use jim's screwdriver method. i hadn't thought of that before, a nice gentle method.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey Pete!

Thank you so much for that! I'm kinda scared to use a chisel. Maybe a plastic one would do? Any specific chisel you would recommend?

Have you noticed any real difference in shifting with that kit yet? Is it really worth it lol? Did you take any pictures of the procedure by any chance?

Cheers!

Mike

Hi Mike,

A small sharp chisel work just fine with the ballpeen hammer...and NO damage and you really don't need to hit it hard..hence the 24oz. hammer, the weight does the work.

Have not ridden it yet, so cannot review the shifting...but from the reviews it's great :)
And sorry I did not take pics.

Trust me it works great!!!

L8tr
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
How does the oil filler opening reach all the way to the clutch basket?

Anyway, to remove the basket I put a wide drift on a basket ear and gave it a firm rap. Did this in a couple of the ears, working in a star pattern, and it broke free from the thread locker Ducati slops on. Only took a few hits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How does the oil filler opening reach all the way to the clutch basket?

Anyway, to remove the basket I put a wide drift on a basket ear and gave it a firm rap. Did this in a couple of the ears, working in a star pattern, and it broke free from the thread locker Ducati slops on. Only took a few hits.
It doesn't reach all the way to the clutch basket air cooled nut, he state's he's trying to remove the clutch housing cover and that he's already removed the basket.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
It doesn't reach all the way to the clutch basket air cooled nut, he state's he's trying to remove the clutch housing cover and that he's already removed the basket.
OOoooh <click!> gotcha! My bad.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for your help and advice. Over the weekend I got some help with my bike from a friendly bike enthusiast and we got the job done! It took some serious rubber mallet pounding and some yanking to get the cover off but we finally managed to do it! Shift kit is in and so far so good. For the moment I can't say I've noticed a really difference in shifting just yet. Perhaps finding neutral is easier though.. I'm going to give it a little longer to come with a final verdict. While we were at it, we managed to install frame sliders from Speedymoto. That was a tough one as the engine shifted when the long bolt came out and had a tough time putting the new one in.

Anyways, a huge thank you to everyone who helped and gave their advice. This forum is absolutely awesome and invaluable!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Congrats!
I have about 20K miles on mia ragazza and shifting is easy, including neutral. My Diavel, on the other hand, is the one that needs that shift kit!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts