Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2000 748 for about 2 months. First mod was switching out that nasty stock clutch cover with a duca corse carbon fiber cover and duca corse pressure plate.

Question, the clutch is now squeeling when I am sitting still with the leaver both in and out... is this normal??? (there is no change in performance with the clutch, it is still rock solid in my opinion)

Also I have noticed when either shutting off the throttle or gearing down I am hearing a chatter coming from the clutch.... again.. is this normal???

I am not racing, it is my daily drive to work. If the clutch is due for replacement (bike only has 17,000 miles on it) can somebody recommend a brand?? Is there a benefit to put in a stage 2, 3 or 4 clutch kit to an everyday rider????

as always folks, thanks for any replies.....
Darren

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Define squealing? Is it like metal on metal (nails on a chalkboard)? Or more like a loud clanking sound?

Is your new clutch cover open?

Also, is this your first dry clutch bike?

They are notoriously loud, especially with an open cover. What you get when you have metal clutch plates smacking a metal clutch basket every time the motor fires with no oil to dampen the sound.

A screaching metal sound with the clutch engaged or not in neutral is def not good i would say. All you should hear is the usual clank with it getting louder when you disengage the clutch.

Are the spring caps maybe hitting the inside of the cover? I've heard of people saying they had a screeching sound it was the clutch spring caps grinding against the cover as they went round. Might be worth a look see.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Plates are probably glazed. You can fix this in three ways.
1) Slip the clutch in a few HARD starts, this will get it good and hot and hopefully break up the glazing and wear pattern between the plates. (5 minutes)

2) Take the clutch plates out and re-order them in the pack. Some Ducatis have a special plate for the first one, double-check before pulling them apart. You can also measure thier thickness to make sure they are within tolerances. (45 minutes)

3) Buy a new set of friction plates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Define squealing? Is it like metal on metal (nails on a chalkboard)? Or more like a loud clanking sound?

Is your new clutch cover open?

Also, is this your first dry clutch bike?

They are notoriously loud, especially with an open cover. What you get when you have metal clutch plates smacking a metal clutch basket every time the motor fires with no oil to dampen the sound.

A screaching metal sound with the clutch engaged or not in neutral is def not good i would say. All you should hear is the usual clank with it getting louder when you disengage the clutch.

Are the spring caps maybe hitting the inside of the cover? I've heard of people saying they had a screeching sound it was the clutch spring caps grinding against the cover as they went round. Might be worth a look see.

the squeeling is a metal on metal sound. I put the open clutch cover on it about a month ago, I never heard any sounds out of it with the stock clutch cover on.

Yes this is my first dry clutch bike with an open clutch cover

I will check to make sure the caps are not hitting the inside of the cover. Good idea, thanks.

Over the winter I might put a new clutch pack in it just in case there is an issue.

thanks for the reply
Darren

1 - 4 of 4 Posts