Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I'm moving along nicely with my rebuild and have another minor query.

This is to do with clutch cable routing... and maybe the choke cable as well while we're at it.

In the attached images one can see where my clutch cable currently goes. It's a bit tight. The clutch is obviously very heavy to pull and this is not helped by the tight bend where it leaves the lever and heads rearwards past the right clip-on bolts.

When the tank is on, the bend is even tighter. The cable goes down through the tank cutaway in the middle and follows the chassis top bar until it dives under that tube and out the left side. It works, but I'd prefer to see the cable coming straight out of the adjuster without a kink.

I've seen variations on other bikes, some seemingly with longer cables, where it avoids the central tunnel entirely and goes out around the fork and back underneath the tubes past the vertical head instead, sometimes forming a large loop sticking way out the left side.

I'm just wondering how this is typically routed on other 900ss' here?

My front choke cable also goes up into the tunnel under the tank, just on the left side. This is not really problematic, but it does put more pressure on the cable than it needs, and definitely adds more drag to the operation. Same question here - How have you guys got yours set up?

Regards
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p.s. The routing looks fine in the first image, but in the second one can see the kink. and this is made worse when steering.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi Rob,

You need to route it so that it dives under the frame near the tank mounting brackets, so that when the tank is on, the cable follows a gentle 'S' bend.

Colin

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It requires a bit of experimentation to get the best bend, without the cable being deflected by any cables etc. Usually the best route is under the top tube and between the two bottom tubes.

If you want to lighten the clutch pull, you need one of these:Ducati im desmo online-shop ... Königswelle Ersatzteile und mehr >Have a look under 'accessories'.

Colin

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it this thing here:

Is that a longer replacement for that lever that operates the clutch? I've looked at those but have been unsure whether the length is enough to make it lighter without at the same time making it less accurate i.e. by spreading the clutch action over a longer pull on the handlebar lever.

I've also seen a short extender piece somewhere that bolts on the end of the existing piece.

Have you had any experience with these kits?
Rob

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi Rob,

Yes, that's the kit. I've been using them on both of my bevel Dukes for about ten years and thoroughly recommend them. Andy, the owner of DESMO is a great guy and a talented engineer. The kit takes about ten minutes to fit and works great. It does alter the ratio of lift from the handlebar lever, but works. You have to keep the cable adjusted at the handlebar lever, but that's a small price to pay for a light clutch.

Colin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts