Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum and didn't have much luck.

Is there an easier way for a wannabe shade tree mechanic to remove the anti-rotation pins on the stock clipons?

I need to adjust the angle of my clutch and brake levers. The pin on the left clipon did not want to budge at all when I tried clamping on to it with vise-grips and tried to twist or pull.

Do folks cut them off, drill them out or should the pins pull out? Or, am I making this harder than it should be?

Any info and/or links would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Use a pair of Side Cutters / ***** pliers. Grab the roll pin as close to the clip on as you can with the cutters along the clip ons and use the tip of the pliers as a fulcrum. You can put a thin piece of metal under the tip to stop it marring the clip on. Some times you need to twist it around a little to free it up. Taking the clipon off the mount can make it easier. You only get a small amount with each go, then move them down and start over or wedge up the nose of the pliers as you go if you have a timber wedge.

You aren't trying to cut the roll pin, but they grip really well, handy for cotter, split pin removal too.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think to try side-cutters for a better bite. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
It looks like the bar and clamp are separate pieces, can the you just spin the bar and rotate all the controls together?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like the bar and clamp are separate pieces, can the you just spin the bar and rotate all the controls together?
They are separate but the bar is notched at the inner allen bolt.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Personally I'd have been tempted to just grind back that slot to allow the complete bar & control to rotate, assuming we are only talking a few degrees (e.g. 1/4 inch or so).

Why would you bother? You honestly don't need the locator pins for the brake and clutch. The electrical controls do as the clamp on them isn't so strong. The switches aren't a problem staying where they are as you drop the levers down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts