Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 - 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

A Newbie here, been riding this 08 1100 for a year or So, got it probably 3rd handed, so ----> Lots of missing History

I have noticed while bike is Idling that the Main clutch Rod - Clutch basket wobbles !!!!!

took this slow motion video with my phone & I am wondering should I be worried & how much my bank account should be :ROFLMAO:

YouTube

·
Registered
442 Posts
Kinda hard to tell what is actually wrong in the video but, I bought a new 48 Tooth EVR clutch basket with plates for the stock Ducati Performance slipper clutch on my 1198 for about $500. If you need a new pressure plate it might run you another $150 or so...

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
You can do it much cheaper, though, if you want. I bought a whole Practically new clutch from someone who switched to a slipper. Check Parts for Sale on various Ducati forums. Also eBay. I bought a new basket there pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Kinda hard to tell what is actually wrong in the video but, I bought a new 48 Tooth EVR clutch basket with plates for the stock Ducati Performance slipper clutch on my 1198 for about $500. If you need a new pressure plate it might run you another $150 or so...
i see it ... i believe the op is referring to the very center of the clutch in that video, it appears to be slightly "out of round". look at the center portion, that part that is about the size of a silver dollar. i've seen many videos of ducati open dry clutches that do that same visual weirdness. that said, is it actually a problem? (i'm going with ~no~).

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 - 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see it ... i believe the op is referring to the very center of the clutch in that video, it appears to be slightly "out of round". look at the center portion, that part that is about the size of a silver dollar. i've seen many videos of ducati open dry clutches that do that same visual weirdness. that said, is it actually a problem? (i'm going with ~no~).
Yes
If you look at the center part of the clutch you would notice it's out of round (wobbly)

I just want to be sure that the inner shaft / rod is not bent & this is pretty normal for a dry clutch

+ I just remembered, if I apply light pressure on the lever, pulses can be felt

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Not really all that uncommon. I seriously doubt the pressure plate is “out of round”. Nor would I expect a bent pushrod....every time the clutch is depressed it lifts the plate off and sets back down, so you might be seeing that If set down slightly off center, or when the springs were last installed the plate was not 10000% centered...IMO nothing wrong with it. Your just looking way to close....go ride! BTW the slow mo sounds just like a train!🚂 ...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can see the wobble he's referring to but I can't really tell what's wrong just from looking at the video. Certainly wouldn't say it's "normal"

Looks to me like it could be a slightly bend rod or perhaps the bearing in the pressure plate is toast. Either way, it only takes a few minutes to remove everything except the basket and hub for a quick visual inspection. Mine certainly doesn't wobble like that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
my hypermotard 2012 evo sp 1100 does the same thing. im told its common. i've replaced the a clutch a couple of times myself. and my clutch basket inside is all beat up from this. even the replacement clutch baskets i have bought used had the same marks. if it is broken then mine has been doing the same thing since 4k miles. this is just what they sound and look like

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can do it much cheaper, though, if you want. I bought a whole Practically new clutch from someone who switched to a slipper. Check Parts for Sale on various Ducati forums. Also eBay. I bought a new basket there pretty cheap.
ive done this too. or found crashed racing set ups. great way to get cheap ducati parts if you pay attention

·
Registered
442 Posts
my hypermotard 2012 evo sp 1100 does the same thing. im told its common. i've replaced the a clutch a couple of times myself. and my clutch basket inside is all beat up from this. even the replacement clutch baskets i have bought used had the same marks. if it is broken then mine has been doing the same thing since 4k miles. this is just what they sound and look like
The stock basket leaves a lot to be desired as far as wear and longevity goes. The 48T basket definitely helps reduce wear (and noise to some disappointment :)

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
If it helps put your mind at ease. This has an absolutely straight pushrod and everything is right and straight. (I know I machined the pushrod from titanium myself on the lathe). It will spin perfectly straight the as the plates lift and release when you squeeze the clutch...occasional It sits down slightly off center and looks to be out of round...but it’s really not. If your Still worried you could check the needle bearing in the end of the shaft, where I am pointing in the pic... but unless it’s come apart your good.
My opinion, for what’s worth, especially some clown on the internet.
I would not trust anybody with a 1200 Multistrada that sounds like that anyway:unsure: 😳

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Son of a bitch! With the new changes the video posted turned into a picture and not all that helpful. I can’t get the damn search to find a thread on how to post videos either. I hate f-ing computers! Maybe I can figure out the damn computer so you can see the vid.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
hopefully this makes the video work....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have noticed while bike is Idling that the Main clutch Rod - Clutch basket wobbles !!!!!
Watch this:
Only the first few minutes are pertinent. Then there is the follow up:
I'm not saying this is your problem....but it may be more than just the basket or hub dampers. Fingers crossed it is not..........sean

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 - 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG, this looks scary .......
So I guess I would have to take off the clutch & have a look around and see any eye sours,

before I go search around, anyone can help me how much to torque those springs back?

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 - 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really all that uncommon. I seriously doubt the pressure plate is “out of round”. Nor would I expect a bent pushrod....every time the clutch is depressed it lifts the plate off and sets back down, so you might be seeing that If set down slightly off center, or when the springs were last installed the plate was not 10000% centered...IMO nothing wrong with it. Your just looking way to close....go ride! BTW the slow mo sounds just like a train!🚂 ...
Yes, I could be looking at more than I need to see ;), but just to ride without OCD kicking in I'll just have a Look the shaft & basket & get pics here

·
Registered
442 Posts
OMG, this looks scary .......
So I guess I would have to take off the clutch & have a look around and see any eye sours,

before I go search around, anyone can help me how much to torque those springs back?
It's not much at all - spec is 5Nm

Keep track of the order in which you remove the friction/steel plates as well.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Being careful, thorough, and asking questions is very good and generally much cheaper to be proactive and catch things before they become a big problem. So good on you for noticing something unusual on your bike. I would be surprised to find the same problem as in the video. And I just replaced a bad bearing in a 999 case. But easy to put your mind at rest. Pop the clutch out and see if you can wiggle the shaft up and down. Trust me you do not want to split the cases.

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 - 2008
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I took the Clutch apart & this what I have found

1st, the cowling has these scuff marks from the inside, but not on the pressure plate or the springs, SO this maybe from an Old clutch.... probably

At this point, tried to wiggle the assembly, but seemed to move ever so slightly by hands.
So, pressure plate & friction plates taken off, & now with my fingers I was checking what does not seem right

The Basket is Solid, so that OK

But, Found that the Drum / Center Hub of the clutch (hope this is what its called :geek:) seems to be moving along with the spacer / Plate which can easily be moved (as seen in below vid)

They move in relation to the Big nut which is holding it in its place & the purplish looking washer

With a Vice Grip, I just tried checking if the big nut was loose, but no, it was fastened

& as it seems, the pressure place along with center hub moves around depending on lateral forces or uneven wear on the plates,

• pressure plate rod, after where the needle bearing seems to sit, was showing abrasion / scuffing
  • that black collar/ ring was loose also when I pulled the rod out -----> no clue here if I should be concerned at all

from this point forward, not sure if this should be an urgent replacement & upgrading to the 48T?
How long can I ignore this?
Appreciate your inputs & Help

1 - 20 of 26 Posts