Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, before you all start, I don`t ever recall reading anything about what I did but then again my girlfriend does say I don`t have a good memory.

I decided the clutch rattle was getting a bit loud and the stock ST2 setup had just over 21k miles so got stuck into changing the plates and basket with a new VeeTwo basket I snagged on our favourite auction site. I`ve got the clutch tools so everything was going fine until I had the basket off and I was cleaning the housing. I also cleaned the mounting flange the basket goes onto and there was some oil in one or two of the holes and some leftover bits of loctite in others. I looked in the holes, yup, blind, and proceeded to spray brake cleaner in the holes. After about 5 holes something didn`t look right. If I was spraying cleaner into the holes, and the holes are blind, why was I not getting sprayback from the cleaner? I sprayed more into a hole I had already done and sure enough it was going somewhere. Then I got a bad sinking feeling when I looked down at the oil sight glass and saw two distinct layers!!! The mounting flange for the basket does not have blind holes and I was putting brake cleaner directly into the oil! So,......one oil change later I was good to go.

Just thought I`d let people know.

Ray

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Honestly, I would not have bothered changing the oil. Brake cleaner evaporates soliloquy easily . It would have bur ed off within the first minute. IMHO, I wouldn't worry.

It's really no worse than humidity in the oil over winter.

Have a good one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts