Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i’m upgrading to a Ducati Performace slipper clutch and all goes well.

I’m at the point of securing the 8 bolts in the basket. But at that point I note I formally need Loctite 510 to seal the threads to prevent oil leakage.

Of course it’s Sunday morning so I can’t go to a store ? Can I simply replace 510 with 5926 which I normally use as sealant for crankcases?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, I’ll go for that.

Another question, stack height should be 36-36.5mm. As my friction plates are 20.6mm in total, I can either achieve 36.1 or 36.6. Which is to be preferred?

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Neither, it's more a matter of how your master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch springs work together. Too thick a stack will cause drag and/or difficulties finding neutral and too thin will make the clutch slip. Test and see. I'd go for the 36.6mm to start with.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Neither, it's more a matter of how your master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch springs work together. Too thick a stack will cause drag and/or difficulties finding neutral and too thin will make the clutch slip. Test and see. I'd go for the 36.6mm to start with.
Ditto...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just installed the 36.6mm package and everything works just great!

I was a bit worried as the spider clutch spring is cracked and no washer seem to be present between spider spring and clutch drum, but the latter seems to be according to spec?

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Buy a half dozen spider springs. If you do a lot of km/mls they break with monotonous regularly.
They suck... period. I went through one per season before I finally gave up and decided to replace the OEM slipper with an aftermarket NCR unit that does not use one. I've never regretted that investment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a half dozen spider springs. If you do a lot of km/mls they break with monotonous regularly.
They suck... period. I went through one per season before I finally gave up and decided to replace the OEM slipper with an aftermarket NCR unit that does not use one. I've never regretted that investment.
The NCR (EVR) do look good and robust but at that investment I can buy quite a few springs... and I haven’t seen a second hand EVR show up anywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
The NCR (EVR) do look good and robust but at that investment I can buy quite a few springs... and I haven’t seen a second hand EVR show up anywhere.
At that point it was no longer an issue of cost, it was all about not having to fuck with the clutch assembly on an annual/multi-annual basis. ;)

I had the same philosophy with regards to the full Termi system... I did not feel like spending time maintaining the pipes prior to riding season every year, so I completely disassembled them and sent them off to Jet Hot in Indiana (I think...) for a satin ceramic coat. They look amazing and are warrantied for life. This was another one of those decisions I made while rebuilding the R that I have never regretted.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just spent three days at the track and did about 500km. Riding with the slipper clutch made life so much easier but in the last session the clutch started slipping. Measurements showed I went from an initial stack height of 36.6 to 35.7mm. I'm must say I don't try the clutch lever with delicacy, but I was quite surprised the wear was that much. Is this wear to be expected? Or should I work on my down shift skills?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts