Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 96 916 about a month or two ago and had to do a couple things to it before starting it. It had been sitting for over a year so figured it wouldn't start on the first try. With new battery installed I turned the key and all I heard was a single click from the starter relay. OK no problem, I by-passed it with a wrench and touched the two points on it and the bike started on the first try, SWEET! I let it run for a few minutes being it had been sitting for quite some time. I turned the key to off - waited a few seconds then turned the ignition back on and hit the start button to see if it would start on its own. It did. But about 10 min later all it does is the single click from the relay now. double checked all connections (they're good), checked voltage from battery (12.4V). Does this mean the Relay is bad??

Next problem - when riding around the block I noticed getting the gear to go into neutral is VERY hard, stiff. Previous owner put in new Barnet clutch just before I bought it and has a CRG lever on it. This is my 3rd Ducati and have never had any problem like this. Seems like the clutch is not lifting enough for me to get the gearing to go to neutral. The clutch lever is set to it's highest point to lift, but still very hard. I've tried getting it in neutral while riding and tried while stopped. Neither way is better and it takes SEVERAL attempts to get it in neutral. The motor oil is brand new so it's lubricated inside. Any ideas of what it could be or how to fix?

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can go to Autozone or another auto parts store and get new fuel relaysfor around $12.00. As for your clutch it could be a couple of things. Air in your clutch line. If you have a new clutch pack the stack height could be off. If memory serves correctly the stack height should be 38-38.5mm. You may want to double check this. Remove the plates and measure them with a caliper. If it is too thick you can replace the 2mm thick steel plate with a 1.5mm. Also If only the plates were replaced and not the basket too, the basket will be notched pretty bad from the old plates. When the new plates are installed in an old basket the plates will get stuck in the detents in the basket making the clutch more difficult to get into gear.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Yep sounds like a bad starter relay. Also check the connector to the starter solenoid(2 prong plug). It can be loose and look like it is in.

Agreed it sounds like the clutch stack could be off or air in the line.
There is also a correct order for the stacking of the plates. Try this for clutch stacking

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/clutch2.php

1 - 4 of 4 Posts